Modified 1957 fender deluxe 5e3

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bobberan

Modified 1957 fender deluxe 5e3

Post by Bobberan »

Just curious if anyone on here has ever seen a tweed deluxe that was modified in this way.
When I got it, It had some kind of vinyl tweed that I replaced and a Marshall style handle.

The amp has a nice clean sound when the white switch is to the left, and very beautiful sounding breakup
when switched to the right. This amp is very hard to stop playing on.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Re: Modified 1957 fender deluxe 5e3

Post by Stevem »

It's impossible to make out what's going on circuit wise from your photos so you will need to draw out a schematic.

I would like to note that all of those caps so close to the input jack is a invitation to a oscillation problem!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Bobberan wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:39 am Just curious if anyone on here has ever seen a tweed deluxe that was modified in this way...
I suspect not :wink:
It looks to have been converted to fixed bias and a silicon rectifier, but beyond that it's not feasible to work out remotely what's been done.
It would be a good idea to get it checked for safety, functionality and potential reliability issues by a competent tech ASAP.
As there's some dreadfully old reservoir / decoupling ecaps in there, and a yellow Astron coupling cap, which are prone to leak DC. And a couple of burnt resistors on the rectifier socket.
After that, carry on enjoying your amp!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Yup, I did not look down at that left side of the amp, but it does have 2 burnt resistors on what looks like the long overdue for replacement original multi section filter cap.

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Bobberan

Post by Bobberan »

Thanks for your replies. Can anyone tell me what the ohm value of those burnt resistors would be ?
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

You are almost certainly on your own with that; such HT droppers are usually in the range 470ohms to 22k.
The amp needs appraisal by a competent person.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Chances are that they are burning up because that can filter they are soldered onto is bad, so if your not equipped/ able to do that repair first then changing out those resistors is a moot point.

That all being said, if those two resistors are the original value then the first one would be 5k and the next one down stream from that 22k, both being 1/2 watt, but I would up rate then to 1 watt if you could.

Bobberan

Post by Bobberan »

Thank so much for all of your help. I will take it to a tech and get it done right.