Hot Rod point to point kit?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RadioGuySD

Hot Rod point to point kit?

Post by RadioGuySD »

::: Forgive me if this is one of those topics that has been beat to death and I just can't seem to find it :::

I have a US made Hot Rod 4x10 amp that I'm just bored with. I just ordered a Mojotone Princeton Reverb kit and thought it would be cool to husk out the Deville and replace it with some point to point goodness using the JJ's I already have and the stock iron. Ideally something along the lines of like a 50 watt Twin. Anybody make a kit like that? I saw someone was selling an unpopulated drop in board to turn it into a 'Dumble esque' rig.. that might be a way to go but I haven't seen a parts list.. pretty much just the boards.

Ideas or suggestions are all appreciated. I haven't committed to a particular direction other than I definitely won't be doing the 'mods' or updates to the stock board. Onward and upward! Thanks in advance!

** EDIT ** Buying the Princeton kit is what got me thinking about rebuilding the HRD in a similar way.. NOT that I wanted to incorporate the PR kit into the HRD.
Last edited by RadioGuySD on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Hot Rod point to point kit?

Post by pompeiisneaks »

They have a parts list for the bluesmaster for the drop in board, and I built a 183 in it pretty easily as well. I have a thread on that build somewhere :D I am not 100% sure I documented every single thing I changed, but I'd definitely recommend the boards, Get in touch with jazzguitargimp here on the forums or luigi retro customs here: https://luigiretro.com/

The amp i modded was a blues deluxe but they're close cousins, identical layout, tube complement, just some voicing changes, and I always thought clean was fine but the drive on it was 'meh' at best, now with the dumble drive in it, it's outstanding.

I'd think taking the bluesmaster details they have, you could likely pretty easily make any dumble ODS amp from it.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The 2 6V6 output tubes will not work well with the output transformer from the hot rod if you want only the 16 to 18 watt output of the Princeton.

If you run 4 6v6 outputs to get closer to a 45 to 50 watt output level then your really not going to find a heck of a big change from the 6L6 output tubes of the Deville!

The biggest difference will be if you keep the phase inverter of the Princeton.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
RadioGuySD

Post by RadioGuySD »

Stevem wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:06 pm The 2 6V6 output tubes will not work well with the output transformer from the hot rod if you want only the 16 to 18 watt output of the Princeton.

If you run 4 6v6 outputs to get closer to a 45 to 50 watt output level then your really not going to find a heck of a big change from the 6L6 output tubes of the Deville!

The biggest difference will be if you keep the phase inverter of the Princeton.
I bought the Princeton kit and that got me thinking about rebuilding the HRD in a point to point sort of way.. I don't plan on using any of the Princeton Reverb kit parts. I bought that as a complete kit and will be it's own separate amp.