New 5E3 build with mods

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lead

New 5E3 build with mods

Post by lead »

Hi everyone - I am new here and am getting back into amp building. This is my 4th build but it has been a few years. I started with an AX-84 P1 quite a while ago, then I built a 5e3 from a kit (Triode), then a18W British clone (tube depot). My first 5E3 build was pretty messy so I wanted to build another one, clean it up and add some mods. I ended up building the following with all of these mods coming from robrob's site. It closely resembles the "RobRob Deluxe". You can read about the mods on his site below.

https://robrobinette.com/RobRob_Deluxe.htm

5E3 Chassis
Mojotone 756EX PT 330-0-330
Mojotone 768 OT - 8Ohm only
Removed the standby switch
Added the following Rob Rob mods
- Switched Negative Feedback mounted by the speaker jack ( removed second speaker jack to make room)
- a pre-PI master volume between the V1 and V2
- lead channel using the two normal input jacks - V1A uses a 2.7K cathode resistor a .68uf cap
Used a 10W 25Ohm power tube cathode resistor
Used a 33uf 450V filter cap for B+1
Added 1.5K screen resistors to the 6V6's
Artificial center tap for the heaters from the pilot light

I think that's it.

Getting the following voltages
B+1 372
B+2 318
B+3 240

Initial observations:

The amp is so quiet I can't tell it's on. Amazing.
The lead channel rocks. It's hard to describe but for example picking harmonics on my leas paul produces awesome squeals.
Cranking the 5E3 volume pots and lowering the master volume with lots of pedal distortion produces a super sweet tone.
Toggling the negative feedback switch produces some nice tonal variations in combination with the lead channel. Still experimenting.

Overall very pleased with the results.

The only trouble I ran into was thinking I had an issue with the power supply / wiring and spending a couple of days trouble shooting only to realize that I was plugged in to my light bulb limiter. Duhhh.

I still have some cleaning up to do but I posted a few pictures. I'll need to figure out what to do with my existing 5E3 and chassis. I am thinking of making a head since I already have the combo. I also plan to spend some time bettering my understanding of this circuit and the mods I made. Should probably produce a schematic which would be new for me. Lots to learn.

Cheers
Lead
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopSauce

Re: New 5E3 build with mods

Post by ChopSauce »

Congrats! Thanks for reporting. Of course, properly dressing each connector of each component takes much more time, but building an amp is something of an adventure to me, so I manage to enjoy each moment of it... :wink:
(would you say "each every moment" or something like that ?)

I've been using Jschem for drawing schematics with some success, but I prefer 3P in the final... :)
(paper, pen & pencil ... plus well, also scissors, tape and a copier sometimes)
lead

Re: New 5E3 build with mods

Post by lead »

Thanks ChopSauce - The amp is functionally sound so the dressing must be working.......however I do know what you mean about proper dressing. I admit I was a bit anxious. Gives me something to work on in the future.

I think I'll try the 3P approach first for the schematic. Good suggestion!

"Each and every moment" is the saying.

Lead