If you were to build a tremolux......

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dragonbat13

If you were to build a tremolux......

Post by dragonbat13 »

I have wanted to build a deluxe for years. Now I think I want to build a "Deluxe with Vibrato" aka: TREMOLUX!!!

But it doesn't have to be authentic to any particular fender amp. I want a 2x6v6 tweed amp with a tube rectifier, the best non harmonic type vibrato circuit, with whatever speaker compliment (4x10,3x10,1x12,1x15,ect.) narrow panel tweed covered combo.

Dont care how loud it gets, want a good blues amp out of it. Raw blues, ZZtop blues. Not SRV punchy clean blues. I got enough amps for that. Looking for something a bit louder than my 54 princeton in a narrow panel cabinet (for the different looks).

Any recommendations? I would think a 15 inch speaker would not work out well, but really like the 3x10 idea. Although the Deluxe tone really has the 1x12 requirement I suppose?

Have I confused my question enough?

What would you build?
pdf64

Re: If you were to build a tremolux......

Post by pdf64 »

I happened across this series of vids a few years and it stuck in my mind that I really need to build myself one of these one day :D
As it’s a ‘55, it’s probably the cathode biased 5E9/A, rather than the fixed bias 5G9.
So bias modulation applied to the (paraphase) phase splitter’s shared cathode, hence it should get largely cancelled out due to being common mode.

dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

Awesome video. The 5e9a was the circuit I was leaning towards the most.
didit

Post by didit »

Hello -

About a dozen years ago I put together a Mission 5E3 kit. Came to the conclusion tweed deluxe was not my thing, and after some research and careful listening arrived at 5E9-a. The modifications needed were easily retrofit. Missing the socket for tremolo obviously. However at it's core there is that touch-sensitivity and warm tone. Recommended.

Best .. Ian
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I wonder what seems to make that much of a difference between the 5E3 and the 5E9A, beyond the tremolo. Is it all in the phase inverter?
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

All I can see different is the phase splitter and the output valve operating point.
As the screen grid HT dropper is half the 5E3’s value, the screen grid voltage will be a bit higher, so the valves will idle a bit hotter.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Thanks. Looks like I was too curious about the phase splitter to notice the resistors.
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

pdf64 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:26 pm I happened across this series of vids a few years and it stuck in my mind that I really need to build myself one of these one day :D
As it’s a ‘55, it’s probably the cathode biased 5E9/A, rather than the fixed bias 5G9.
So bias modulation applied to the (paraphase) phase splitter’s shared cathode, hence it should get largely cancelled out due to being common mode.

My buddy Billy Yates!
I have his personal Red Jones TW style amp. It's a beast!

cheers,
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars
didit

Post by didit »

pdf64 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:14 pm All I can see different is the phase splitter and the output valve operating point.
As the screen grid HT dropper is half the 5E3’s value, the screen grid voltage will be a bit higher, so the valves will idle a bit hotter.
ChopSauce wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:16 am Thanks. Looks like I was too curious about the phase splitter to notice the resistors.
Sum of several differences. Paraphase inverter is central. Lower B+ dropping resistance. Key coupling cap is 0.02uF roughly replacing one that was 0.1uF. All together now, nice warm gradual transition furry-ness versus ratty cathodyne goop.

Sorting my workshop recently and happened to happen on notes from the surgery. See below, and apologies for the scribbles as these were captured just to guide me not provide advice for others.
5e3->5e9a.jpg
Best .. Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Pdf64, I seem to recall you mentioning noise effects from adjacent common-cathode preamp stages? This 5E9A has that, as well as no NFB off the OT as in the 5E3. Relevant? [Edit: Never mind, that second one is the PI.]
Just plug it in, man.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

ViperDoc wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:37 pm Pdf64, I seem to recall you mentioning noise effects from adjacent common-cathode preamp stages? This 5E9A has that, as well as no NFB off the OT as in the 5E3. Relevant? [Edit: Never mind, that second one is the PI.]
May be thinking of V4 common cathode in Fender twin channel reverb amps?
This is similar but different, due to the significant attenuation between the stages.
tikitorch

Post by tikitorch »

I always wanted a 5G9. In the videos I've seen of the 5E9As they always sounded good to me. Here's something I mashed up in a schematic but never built. It's a 5E3 with the Vibrochamp trem. I used to have a silver face Vibrochamp and the trem really was very nice:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tikitorch

Post by tikitorch »

Hmmm... The more I think about this, I would go with a 5E9A with the 5D3 phase inverter.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

tikitorch wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:44 am It's a 5E3 with the Vibrochamp trem.
The intensity pot is drawn incorrectly.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

tikitorch wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:25 am Hmmm... The more I think about this, I would go with a 5E9A with the 5D3 phase inverter.
That would lose the benefit of the modulation signal being (largely) cancelled out, due to it being common mode in a circuit carrying balanced signals.