Fender Tremolux OT

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Rafalynch

Fender Tremolux OT

Post by Rafalynch »

Hello, I need help with my Fender Tremolux, the output transformer had to be changed a long time ago and my technician installed a Hammond but I don't quite like how it sounds and I would like to know if it would improve the tone with another OT Mercury Magnetic or Classic Tone. I would be very grateful for your helpful opinion and excuse my English
martin manning

Re: Fender Tremolux OT

Post by martin manning »

Which Tremolux do you have? Tweed, Blonde, or Black cabinet? Model number? Year of manufacture? What type of tubes are used in the power stage? What is the part number of the Hammond output transformer?
Rafalynch

Post by Rafalynch »

It's a 1966 Blackface head, AB763 circuit and my technician put some brand new 6L6gc tubes from JJ. The original OT was a 125A6A. I don't have an original cabin, I use it with a Jensen C12k2 and with my 1969 Marshall 4 × 12 with celestion greemback 1221. My Tremolux doesn't sound bad, but the other day I tried a blond Badmaster 6G7A of the kind that have Presence control and I I really liked how it sounded and it broke the sound even with the volume at 10, the saturation was very musical. I would like to know if my Tremolux could improve with the OT change or is it better to sell it and get another type head to the Badmaster. Thank you very much for your help.
Rafalynch

Post by Rafalynch »

The Hammond transformer he carries now is a 1760J with 4/8/16 ohm output. this is the best since it allows me to be able to connect it to any cabin.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

The AB763 Tremolux is a rather different amp to a 6G7A Bandmaster.
Selling off the Tremolux might fund you paying your tech to build a Bandmaster.
But also consider trying out a Tweed Bassman or Marshall JTM45 type amp.
Rafalynch

Post by Rafalynch »

Thank you for your advice and I will listen to you.