Reverb noise, 76 SF Twin Reverb

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

goldenGeek

Reverb noise, 76 SF Twin Reverb

Post by goldenGeek »

I'v been restoring this 76 silver face Twin Reverb over the last month (in between battling that horrible Mesa DC2). It had lots of burned stuff on the output tubes that I've replaced and cleaned up, I've replaced the filter capacitors and some other electrolytics, replaced some tubes and fixed the tremolo (bad roach). The amp is dead quiet and sounds amazing (where is all that "I hate SF Fenders and need to convert it to BF" coming from? ..thats another debate ;) ) But there is a noise in the reverb that I haven't figured out yet - does anyone know what's going on in the attached sound clip? There is some noise/crackle/something in the reverb/decay of the reverb, it's more pronounced on some tones such as Eb... Any help is appreciated :D The hum in the clip is from me sitting 20cm away from the amp :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Re: Reverb noise, 76 SF Twin Reverb

Post by Stevem »

Stop searching and order up a new reverb pan because it's bad!

These amps do not sound bad for clean sounds, in fact I have a 76 pro reverb.

They sound bad when cranked for a lot of rock sounds because they have too much of a mid cut ( in fact it's hard to get any mid boost out of them!) and they have too much bottom for lead stuff unless you roll the Bass way back, but that's normal for any amp that has good bottom end for low volume playing.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
goldenGeek

Post by goldenGeek »

Stevem wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:27 am Stop searching and order up a new reverb pan because it's bad!

These amps do not sound bad for clean sounds, in fact I have a 76 pro reverb.

They sound bad when cranked for a lot of rock sounds because they have too much of a mid cut ( in fact it's hard to get any mid boost out of them!) and they have too much bottom for lead stuff unless you roll the Bass way back, but that's normal for any amp that has good bottom end for low volume playing.
Okay, now I feel really stupid. After playing around with some other tanks I have (that did not sound as good as the original, or at least different) I tried to spray the contacts of the original tank with some contact cleaner. It seems to be working fine now :D I was so sure this had to do with some components or a bad tank that it did not cross my mind. Oh well, another lesson learned.

I can see that cranked/overdriven point, it does not sound good when cranked. Luckily I have some Marshalls and Mesas for that :wink:
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Yes, the aluminum RCA connectors tarnish up very badly at times and make for a lot of added resistance on the input and output side of those connectors !

Good! then you have have saved yourself about 35 bucks total.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
goldenGeek

Post by goldenGeek »

Stevem wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:51 am Yes, the aluminum RCA connectors tarnish up very badly at times and make for a lot of added resistance on the input and output side of those connectors !

Good! then you have have saved yourself about 35 bucks total.
The buzzing actually came back once mounted back in the cabinet. I discovered that there was something wrong with one of the springs (the longest one, the hook at the one end was damaged). When I tested it was upside down at top of the cabinet and it seems like the problem was only present when mounted the other way around. So I swapped the broken spring with another similar spring from a broken tank and now its back in the cabinet and its working perfectly :)