DELUXE REVERB NORMAL:LEAD CHANNEL MODS

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sluckey

Re: DELUXE REVERB NORMAL:LEAD CHANNEL MODS

Post by sluckey »

ViperDoc wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:39 pm

Thanks. I assume you mean the .0022 cap off of the cathode follower? I simply copied the tone stack from a Super Lead schematic.
I don't think so. YOU added that .0022 cap.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

sluckey wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:15 pm
ViperDoc wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:39 pm

Thanks. I assume you mean the .0022 cap off of the cathode follower? I simply copied the tone stack from a Super Lead schematic.
I don't think so. YOU added that .0022 cap.
GUILTY AS CHARGED. Indeed, it looks like I duplicated the .0022 cap before the volume pot when cutting and pasting my schematic in KiCAD. Thanks for catching it, gentlemen! I'll correct that.
Just plug it in, man.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Ten Over wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:34 pm Here are a couple of examples of the Normal channel modded into a somewhat Marshall topology

Interesting changes to the DR circuit. What are the diodes on V2? Bias the stage?
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

dcribbs1412 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:08 pm
Ten Over wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:34 pm Here are a couple of examples of the Normal channel modded into a somewhat Marshall topology

Interesting changes to the DR circuit. What are the diodes on V2? Bias the stage?
It’s a DCCF! The diode prevents arcing at power ip. http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/dccf.html
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

pdf64 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:47 pm
dcribbs1412 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:08 pm

It’s a DCCF! The diode prevents arcing at power ip. http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/dccf.html
Thanks pdf64
interesting idea for safe guarding preamp tubes
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Fixed--errant .0022 cap, incorrect tone slope resistor value. Might need new glasses.
AB763 LEAD CH 3.0.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just plug it in, man.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

You don't need the .022 cap on the treble wiper.

There still must be a cap on the PI input. In the DR this is a .001µF.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

I think 5F6A / Marshall treble pots are usually linear. Typical 10 or 15% audio taper types may not have a friendly range of control if used there, with most the change occurring between halfway and max.
Sasquach

Post by Sasquach »

ViperDoc wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:33 pm Fixed--errant .0022 cap, incorrect tone slope resistor value. Might need new glasses.

AB763 LEAD CH 3.0.pdf
Did you ever add this to your DR? Results?

I may try this with the FET just to see how well it works. Looks like I need to rewire to get input--> gain-->volume-->gain--> CF -->TS -->PI

Afterwards I may do Sluckey's tremonater mod to free up a 12AX7 to do the CF mod with a tube.

I assume the FET is inferior to the tube CF?
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Sasquach wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 pm
ViperDoc wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:33 pm Fixed--errant .0022 cap, incorrect tone slope resistor value. Might need new glasses.

AB763 LEAD CH 3.0.pdf
Did you ever add this to your DR? Results?

I may try this with the FET just to see how well it works. Looks like I need to rewire to get input--> gain-->volume-->gain--> CF -->TS -->PI

Afterwards I may do Sluckey's tremonater mod to free up a 12AX7 to do the CF mod with a tube.

I assume the FET is inferior to the tube CF?
I’ll let you know when I build it. I’ve got to crack the code on my Jubilee first.
Just plug it in, man.
Sasquach

Post by Sasquach »

I'll probably give it a shot too.
Sasquach

Post by Sasquach »

First step in the mod is to do the Trem-O-Nator Mod to the DR to free up 1/2 of a 12AX7 to use as the Cathode Follower.
Of course I need to change to the Vactrol VTL5C1

I've edited the Weber schematic for the DR. See any problems?
I'll add the layout mod when I finish it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasquach

Post by Sasquach »

Adding the Layout with the Trem-O-Nator mod for the DR.
Ignore the edits on the right side. I started the mod to add the CF
Sasquach

Post by Sasquach »

I did the Trem-O-Nator mod. Works great. Thanks Sluckey.
The mod freed up 1/2 an 12AX7 so I could do the CF mod.

I also finished the CF mod that Viperdoc drew out. I used the attached schematic. Some of the plate resistors are 200k instead of 100k.

How can I test it to make sure it's working? I don't have the best ear to test it but I have tons of test equipment. Ideas?

I also am getting some buzzing noise when I hit certain notes so I'm rechecking tube sockets tightness, cleaning pins, solder joints.

DR-CF.jpg
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Sasquach wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:58 pm I did the Trem-O-Nator mod. Works great. Thanks Sluckey.
The mod freed up 1/2 an 12AX7 so I could do the CF mod.

I also finished the CF mod that Viperdoc drew out. I used the attached schematic. Some of the plate resistors are 200k instead of 100k.

How can I test it to make sure it's working? I don't have the best ear to test it but I have tons of test equipment. Ideas?

I also am getting some buzzing noise when I hit certain notes so I'm rechecking tube sockets tightness, cleaning pins, solder joints.

DR-CF.jpg
I'm interested how you like your CF mod. To be clear, anything drawn by me is more of a report for my own learning purposes, not anything to be trusted. I'm serious. I am only a student here. Make sure you get advice from more experienced builders. That said, plate resistor values are only meaningful with relation to the B+ voltage they are dropping to reach your operating plate voltage for the gain stage in question. Make sure you safely test your circuit's voltages with a bulb limiter first, lots to learn there. As always!
Just plug it in, man.