DELUXE REVERB NORMAL:LEAD CHANNEL MODS

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Sasquach

Re: DELUXE REVERB NORMAL:LEAD CHANNEL MODS

Post by Sasquach »

ViperDoc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:32 am

I'm interested how you like your CF mod. To be clear, anything drawn by me is more of a report for my own learning purposes, not anything to be trusted. I'm serious. I am only a student here. Make sure you get advice from more experienced builders. That said, plate resistor values are only meaningful with relation to the B+ voltage they are dropping to reach your operating plate voltage for the gain stage in question. Make sure you safely test your circuit's voltages with a bulb limiter first, lots to learn there. As always!
I was getting some strange buzzing sounds on certain notes so I started cleaning tube pins and sockets. When I was pushing one of the 12AX7's back in it shattered (and cut the crap out of my hand). I replaced it and everything sounded fine to me. Like I said before, I don't have the best ear but I'm a test equipment hoarder.

I understand about safety. I'm a EE but not old enough to have taken any classes on vacuum tubes, unfortunately. Just now getting my head around tube amp design.

I'm also working on an additional mod to the normal channel where you can switch in a Cold Clipper between the volume pot and the Second Gain Stage to try to get a JCM800 preamp sound. (Edited for correction)
Input -->Gain-->Volume Pot--> Cold Clipper --> Gain --> Cathode Follower--> TS --> PI
I had made a similar mod that I discussed in the EL34 forum to add an additional gain stage before the PI. It worked but didn't sound so good once I did the CF mod so I'm modifying it to switch in a cold clipper. Doesn't look to difficult to do. Stay tuned for results. It'd be easier to just build a Marshall amp :)

EDIT: The cold clipper didn't sound so well. I didn't include the 470k attenuator resistors so I may have been really overdriving the stages following it. In order to include the attenuators, I would have to replace the 3PDT switch with a 4PDT switch. The 3PDT switch barely fits in place of the Bright Switch so I'm done with this mod. The CF mods sounds good enough to leave it alone.