Retweed identification

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gtomax

Retweed identification

Post by gtomax »

Is there a bulletproof way to tell if an original tweed amp has been retweeded? Obviously much is subjective and I've seen plenty of original examples live and of course pics but determining original vs retweed can be really tough in my anecdotal opinion when done excellently.

Are there tell-tale signs of things like tweed wrap direction, corners, inside edges, etc. that give away an original vs. a redo?

I remember reading somewhere that tweed direction wasn't 100% consistent through the years.
Stevem

Re: Retweed identification

Post by Stevem »

Carefully remove one of the feet or the handle, does the covering look newer under there, or basically the same?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
gtomax

Post by gtomax »

It does look different under the knob and handle but I'm still relatively confident this is not original Fender tweed. Finish is wrong (too matte) and I know the feet, back panel screws... etc are replacements. The condition on the inside of the redwood is not commensurate with the exterior finish it has much more wear. The speaker baffle and fabric seem suspect as well. The chassis and printing are clean which made me question it but it's feeling redone.
20210628_111600.jpg
20210628_111551.jpg
20210628_111442.jpg
20210628_111424.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Nice handle... :?
(definitely not 100% original for sure - up to the point where retweed seem to be something of a detail, I'd say)
gtomax

Post by gtomax »

Yeah some joker put the handle on crooked also, likely to "fix" a stripped original screw hole. Cool :cry:
gtomax

Post by gtomax »

OK so now that I'm confident this is not the original tweed I want to get it retweeded properly.

Anyone have recommendations for who does exceptional retweed work?