Nad 74 twin reverb vs 79 Mesa mk2a

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

silvertonebetty

Nad 74 twin reverb vs 79 Mesa mk2a

Post by silvertonebetty »

So about two weeks ago I picked up a twin reverb with a flight case . The tremolo doesn’t work but that’s fine because I like the normal channel better than the effect channel. I find the effect channel much more bright and a little thinner than the normal channel. It’s the same with the Mesa but the cable between the normal and effect channel on the fender is nice .

The fender is definitely brighter an a bit thinner than the Mesa where the Mesa is warm , bold and creamy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pdf64

Re: Nad 74 twin reverb vs 79 Mesa mk2a

Post by pdf64 »

silvertonebetty wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:45 am … the cable between the normal and effect channel on the fender is nice …
The channels on the Fender are in opposing signal polarity, so mixed together, the sound would normally become thin and weird.
If not, maybe your amp has been modded?
Has the amp been appraised technically, do you know that the amp is safe to use and working correctly?
It’s a good idea to get any newly acquired item of secondhand mains electrical equipment checked over by a competent person, to ensure that it’s safe to use, and ideally, that it’s working properly.
silvertonebetty

Post by silvertonebetty »

It got recapped and everything last year they told me
All ways could be in my head 😂 but it better with just using the single channel
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Yes, that's the way Fenders like that sound .
There made for clean well defined rhythm playing and will not sound like the Mesa, but on the opposite side of the coin the Mesa will not get the clean sound of the twin!

The two channels are out of phase with each other in stock form on the Fender due to the extra gain stage on the out bound side of the reverb that is a mixer stage, this means you should not jump or Y together the two channels unless you want the out of phase tone of for instance a Srat in the middle switch position.

This gain stage is well after the tone controls and should not have much effect on the EQ of that channel other then maybe adding a little gain if that 4th position 12ax7 is really good, or taking away some gain if it's weak.

The longer wire run used on the normal channel to get the signal down to the PI section can make for a tad less high end responce , but my bet is you like the sound of that first preamp tube better then that second preamp tube the is for the Vibrato channel.

I would swap them and see what you think!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!