Twin Reverb; Reverb issues troubleshooting

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

WhopperPlate

Twin Reverb; Reverb issues troubleshooting

Post by WhopperPlate »

Hello yall,

I have an old silver face twin that is a real work horse (backline rental for 30+ years!) and playing great, except for this fizzy sizzle distortion that rides the reverb decay. Reverb on zero sounds like any decent working dry twin. Normal channel of course has no issues.

I have swapped in new tubes with no change , so I am assuming it’s either the reverb tank itself failing or a failing component in the circuit itself

Before I spend the time to tear into the thing, or possibly order a new reverb tank, I thought I would ask the experts first what y’all thoughts were on the matter and hopefully diminish any tail chasing headaches or unnecessary expenses .

Appreciate the help. Thank you for the time

Charlie
Charlie
Colossal

Re: Twin Reverb; Reverb issues troubleshooting

Post by Colossal »

A good way to rule out a failing part(s) would be to take voltages at the plate and cathodes on the driver and recovery tubes and see that they match the expected value (within 10-20% or so). Also check coupling caps for DC leakage. Tank could be starting to go though, as you mention.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Colossal wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:40 pmAlso check coupling caps for DC leakage...
About that: I've read many things from "there must be no voltage at all" to "there may be some". Could anyone clarify, please?
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

One way to rule out a bad tank is to just disconnect it’s send and return cables and then jump a 470k resistor across what would be the tips of the RCA jacks.

Doing this will just make the reverb circuit a volume boost circuit.
If this fails I would change out both the plate load and cathode resistor in the recovery gain stage and also that 3.3 meg mixer / level matching resistor.

I would also just shot gun the 2.2 K cathode resistor and the 1meg grid resistor on the 12AT7 pan driver.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

We're assuming you've already deoxidized the pan, chassis and cable connections.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Thank you all for the education.

Yes, All connections have been thoroughly cleaned .

Thanks steveM , The 470k resistor across the jack caused the volume increase with reverb knob , so it must be the reverb tank (?)

Gonna order up a new tank
Charlie
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Yes, the new tank will get you back to good!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!