soft crackiling noise, am i being obsessivie?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

footloose190

soft crackiling noise, am i being obsessivie?

Post by footloose190 »

Hi

I have a new Fender Hot Rod amp, and today i noticed there's a soft noise coming from the amp like a ticking crackling noise. But very quiet, then there was a little pop and it went away. should i be worried? or are these amps naturally a little noisy? Could it be dirty electricity? i am in an old home. I turned the fridge off but the noise didnt go away. but yeah its only soft should i take it back?

thanks guys !!!
10thTx

Re: soft crackiling noise, am i being obsessivie?

Post by 10thTx »

New to you amp .................. OR do you mean the amp is new and not previously owned?

Have you tried changing the tubes out?

With respect, 10thtx
footloose190

Post by footloose190 »

the amp is brand new
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

footloose190 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:01 am should i take it back?
I would.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

sluckey wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:59 pm
footloose190 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:01 am should i take it back?
I would.
In theory yes, but in the real world, I'd manage to take care of that issue myself. At least I'd manage to diagnose the problem as long as I don't do anything which could cancel the warranty. Swapping tubes comes to mind, but there are much more competent persons than I am here, who could have much more wise suggestions.

If you are confident enough that your reseller will refund you if you return the amp, then you may try that anyway, but having your amp sent back to some unknown repair shop you don't know anything about... that's another story.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Totally reasonable to take it back, though you may want to see if you have the same noises on another AC circuit elsewhere to eliminate the possibility the problem is with your house wiring (doubt it).
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Get the amp on for a few minutes if this issue takes time to happed and then use this trouble shooting process to see if the issue is related to preamp tubes.

Turn the amp into standby then flip the amp upside down on its handle.

No carefully pull out the first tube on you left and then turn the amp back on, is the issue still there, if not put the amp back in standby and reinstall the tube,
The gap in the pins of all the preamp tube faces the front of the amp.

Now that you have that first tube back in pull out the tube next to it and make the same check.
If the issue is still there then pull out that 3rd tube next to the two output tubes.

If that clears the problem up then that tube is bad or one of the two plate load resistors are going bad in that tubes circuit.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Could it be your cell phone?
I’ve had a close proximity cell phone I terfer with my guitar/amp signal. You could hear it kind of crackle and beep. Definitely was my phone trying to find a signal, or something.
Redwood Bridge

Post by Redwood Bridge »

Are you using D'Addario cables by any chance? I was having vibration related pops and buzzes especially on loud bass notes. Thought I had a cold solder joint and I chased it for quite a while. Eventually found that the A'ddario plug on my cord was the culprit...it is actually about a mm shorter than the standard phone jacks (Switchcraft or Neutrik) and so it wasn't seating properly in the amp's input jack. So when the amp vibrates the plug loses contact and gives you the noise.