72-76 SF Bassman Question

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

key

72-76 SF Bassman Question

Post by key »

Hey guys,

Very new to this forum, I've been looking to buy an SF bassman 50 for a while and after watching videos I've found a 1976
model to be the best sounding from demos. I'm wondering if the models between 72 and 76 actually differ in circuits, as it's a bit hard to find that specific year. Although I'm sure the mic setup and guitar had an effect on the tone of the amp (in the video), but the break-up point was very specific, and would benefit my setup for live shows. I just want to make sure I don't get something I'm unfamiliar with. thanks!
Stevem

Re: 72-76 SF Bassman Question

Post by Stevem »

First off here's a big question that needs to be answered, is your intention to play bass or guitar thru this amp?

The the 72 to 76 period Bassmans where all the same curcuit wise, so the main tonal differences and faster or slower clipping point of the output stage will come from the tubes used.

If you want a bigger soundstage and the best touch sensitivity you can have, then use a interleaved output transformer like the ones used in the late Tweed Bassmans .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
key

Post by key »

hey, thanks for the reply. My intention is to use a guitar through the amplifier. Also, I think I'm ok with a little tonal differences because of tubes and whatnot. Just wanted to make sure it wouldnt be as major of a difference in lets say, an older blackface circuit to a silver face. which in my opinion sound very very different.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Please note that there are 3 different Bassman schematics used to build them from the first in 64 to 67.

From 68 and up there are differences well before the UL output stage amps ( 70 and 135 watt ) began to be made.

A lot of folks who have played all of them find that only the ones up to 67 sound the best and are worth replicating, and there is even a sub group in that year range where they say that only the schematics up to 66 are worth building from!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!