Tweed High Power 6v6s Output Tranny Recomedations

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JGK

Tweed High Power 6v6s Output Tranny Recomedations

Post by JGK »

Hi all

I am trying to figure out the proper Output Transformer for a quad of 6v6s basically planning on a 50 Watt, 4000ohm type but I am curious if anyone has other recommendations since I would like to run multiple taps and generally plan to use a 8ohm speaker. I have considered a Marshall type OP 50 watts at 3200ohm with multiple taps. I am not real smart on output impedance and any info would be great. Thanks JGK
martin manning

Re: Tweed High Power 6v6s Output Tranny Recomedations

Post by martin manning »

BF Bassman 4k Zpri would be a good choice.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Maybe an Vox ac30 OT?
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

A Hammond 1650n is what I have used for quad of 6V6s in a Highwatt build.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rooster

Post by rooster »

Hammond 1650G. 6.6K primary, underrated at 35W and with traditional (easy connection) 4-8-16 tap. This is Hammond's clone of the Stancor A-3801 that includes the 250 and 500 ohm taps that Ken used in the original Express. I'm putting a used one up in the For Sale column today actually. The leads are long and I never fired it up, you'll have to give it 40hrs of play time to break it in but it should be nice.

Back story, I was all set to finish a Marshal JTM45 build using this OT when I ran into an original Hammond 92105 that was in a Traynor Bassman that I had played years ago. I remember the thing being so smooth and saturated that I couldn't forget it. The owner of that amp told me later that he replaced it (because he didn't like the saturation - he much preferred a cleaner sound) and then eventually sold the amp. But he kept the transfomer, and last week he asked me if I wanted it. I said, yep.

Btw, I've built two HPTTs (that I will never sell) and I had Heyboer build me a couple of tapped primary PTs so I could do a range of 385 - 435DC plate volts, using either a rectifier or silicone plug, because I wanted that trad HPTT sound, that 65W sound that the amp was originally rated at. I ran the spectrum of power tubes. 6V6s, 6L6s, El34, Kt88, new and vintage glass. Hands down the best tube for this circuit was the J/J double mica 6L6 from Eurotubes. It was crazy to hear this tube in either amp, it is like a perfect match. One has a MM BFTR OT (2K primary), the other a large vintage Triad OT (2750 primary). Another thing, don't be afraid to pull two power tubes. I keep one loaded with a quad and the other one with a pair.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
JGK

Post by JGK »

Getting started got the iron and chassis. Got a deal on a Hammond dual voltage 290 D2X 355 and 305 taps will probably use the 305 to give me about 380 on the plates and picked up a Mojo tone twin tweed low power OP. Thought about using a smaller OP but I have amps to do that. Modding the 1st channel for a Marshall sound and will probably do a 1 wire cascade mod with a switch. Hoping for a big sound
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

380V on 6V6 plates. Yes that should scream, if only for a little while. Tube brand selection is certainly more critical to insure a longer lifespan.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.