Fender Bassman AA864 - Plate current way too low

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

robin6724

Fender Bassman AA864 - Plate current way too low

Post by robin6724 »

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a Fender Bassman AA864. I just replaced the tube sockets. Everything was rewired properly by myself.

Here's the issue I am facing now :

When I re-install the power tubes and try to bias them. The plate current will never reach over something like 11.6mA ... Using either the TAD's Bias master or measuring with the "Output Transformer Resistance Method". If you do the math, this value is waaaaaay below the 60% (approx. 40mA) or even the 50%...

I've checked the re-wiring, all the voltages due to arrive on pin 3, 4 (approx 445VDC) and negative voltage on pin 5 (between -52 and -60 VDC) look good. Screen grid resistors measure fine. I've even tried another matched pair of tubes, still facing the same issue.

The amp does make sound but it breaks up very early and doesn't sound good to me.

Does anyone has an idea about what's happening over here? I've checked on the internet, on forums, etc. And can't really find a similar situation from anyone...

Thanks in advance,
pdf64

Re: Fender Bassman AA864 - Plate current way too low

Post by pdf64 »

Do the bias supply components check out out, particularly the 15k between the bias pot and 0V chassis common?
https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics ... ematic.pdf
robin6724

Post by robin6724 »

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I won't be at the shop before the end of the week.

I haven't checked these.

Keep you posted.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Your bias voltage is too negative. The schematic spec's -44v. You need to adjust the value of the bias circuit's tail resistor, from 15K to perhaps 22K.

EDIT: Yes, what Pete says below:
Last edited by xtian on Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

xtian wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:11 pm Your bias voltage is too negative. The schematic spec's -44v. You need to adjust the value of the bias circuit's tail resistor, from 15K to perhaps 22K.
:?
If the 15k value is increased, then the ‘hottest’ bias setting will become more negative, and hence the 6L6 will idle colder.
If there's 8V across the 10k track of the bias trimmer, then that range limiting bottom resistor (should be 15k) may be up around 65k!
robin6724

Post by robin6724 »

I'll be at the shop tomorrow. First thing I'll do is checking the 15k. If it measure correct then I'll check the pot.

Thanks
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

A heck of a great starting point will always be to refer to the schematic!

With a know good set of output tubes in the amp with a -45 volts at the junction of the two 220k resistors, the V+ voltage at that point on the center tap of the OT ( red wire) , or even on pin 3 of either output tube should be in the neighborhood of 425 volts .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
robin6724

Post by robin6724 »

Hi all,

I've checked out the bias circuit tail resistor and indeed there was a 48k installed instead of a 15k like it says on the schematic.

Any guesses about why the last owner would do this?

Obv, the amp sounds way better, deeper, has greater dynamics...

Thanks for your help!
robin6724

Post by robin6724 »

Stevem wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:28 am A heck of a great starting point will always be to refer to the schematic!

With a know good set of output tubes in the amp with a -45 volts at the junction of the two 220k resistors, the V+ voltage at that point on the center tap of the OT ( red wire) , or even on pin 3 of either output tube should be in the neighborhood of 425 volts .
Indeed - I never know what tolerance I can refer to when measuring voltages.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

The 1st measurements that should be made are the mains and heater VAC. If they’re not at nominal then nothing else will be.
If the mains (and hence everything else) is running 7 or 8% above the schematic’s 117V nominal, it would be rather a bad idea to set the bias to the schematic nominal without verifying that the resulting anode current was ok.
Last edited by pdf64 on Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

My guess!
The previous owner was either misinformed, or maybe was trying to reduce the amps wattage and run like 6V6 output tubes which would need that level of bias voltage.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!