hotrod deluxe 4 footswitch jack socket

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

CluelessDude

hotrod deluxe 4 footswitch jack socket

Post by CluelessDude »

Hey guys! I'm new to this and I don't have much experience past knowing how to solder, so please bear with me. I have a 6 month old hotrod deluxe IV that I'm having a channel switching problem with. I don't believe it's the typical switching problems these amps have from having parts of the PCB board get too hot. Whenever the footswitch cord is unplugged the amp goes straight to the drive channel with the "more drive" function stuck on. I am unable to switch out of this with the hand switching controls. When I plug the footswitch cord in it stays this way unless I take the back cover off the amp and push on the footswitch jack socket just right. If i get it just right, I am then able to switch between both channels and having the more drive feature on or off with the footswitch. When I unplug the footswitch jack from the socket and try pushing on the empty socket I haven't been able to get it to let me switch channels with the hand controls. The board looks brand spanking new in all respects. nothing looks brown or charred. Could it be a bad jack socket from leaving the foot switch plugged in or something? I ordered a replacement jack socket and I am going to replace it. It just seems so new to have any issues at all. It stays in my home studio and has never been gigged. Bought brand new. I live about 5 hours from the nearest amp repair place, so it would be ideal to try and fix it myself. Any experience with similar issues? Words of advice? Thank you!
pdf64

Re: hotrod deluxe 4 footswitch jack socket

Post by pdf64 »

Why not a repair under warranty?
You’ll be voiding it by doing this yourself.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

meter the pins with a multitester and make it fail reliably a few times.. if its a solder point in the jack, fix it.. if it is not immediately evident what the problem is.. send it to fender.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I have not seen a schematic for the latest model of these yet, but all the previous models only needed the foot switch to be plugged in to turn off the reverb on the fly, every other function could be activated or killed by the buttons on the control panel.

My best guess is that your amp has a bad switching relay , or something is up with the power supply section ( 5 volts I think) that powers them.

In short the amp should go into a authorized Fender repair shop to be fixed for you,
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
CluelessDude

Post by CluelessDude »

Thanks everyone! I just live super far away from the nearest authorized repair place. I was going to see if it was something I could easily fix myself first.