Rob Rob's 5e3 cascaded gain on a switch

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

professormudd

Rob Rob's 5e3 cascaded gain on a switch

Post by professormudd »

Greetings,

I was wondering if I could get some eyes on this to tell me whether or not this will work.

I would like to take Rob Robinette's cascaded gain mod and put it on a switch so I can go down to just one input. Does my approach in the layout look correct?

And since I am making a post anyway, this layout comes from the values on Rob Robinette's "Simplified Tweedle Dee" layout. Any thoughts on running this with a set of EL84s?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
ChopSauce

Re: Rob Rob's 5e3 cascaded gain on a switch

Post by ChopSauce »

On a practical level, I think I'd go with tagboards (always forgot the name) à la Dumble for the grid resistors on V1.

Otherwise it looks good at first glance but I may have overlooked it.

Fred (Violleau) appeared to be really happy with it. He did it twice: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33301
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

The switch end of your 680k needs a 1M to ground.
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

ChopSauce wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:26 pm On a practical level, I think I'd go with tagboards (always forgot the name) à la Dumble for the grid resistors on V1.
Yeah, I plan on doing terminal strips. I am too lazy to add that level of detail in this software.
Last edited by professormudd on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

Ten Over wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:33 pm The switch end of your 680k needs a 1M to ground.
So a 1meg across the tip of that switch?
-Matt

Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

professormudd wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:39 pm
Ten Over wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:33 pm The switch end of your 680k needs a 1M to ground.
I don't know what the tip of a switch means.

It needs a 1M resistor connected between ground and the lug on the switch with the 680k resistor.
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

Ten Over wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:50 pm
professormudd wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:39 pm
I don't know what the tip of a switch means.

It needs a 1M resistor connected between ground and the lug on the switch with the 680k resistor.
I meant top of the switch... I was on a mobile phone and it auto-corrected. For some reason, when I looked at the robinette version it looked like the680k was open when no input.... But yeah, duh, it is connected to the shunt. So when I said at the top of the switch, I meant how I did in Capture.PNG, but I see now that it needs to be like Capture3.PNG. correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Matt

Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

professormudd wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:18 pm I meant how I did in Capture.PNG, but I see now that it needs to be like Capture3.PNG. correct?
Yes