Need Help Troubleshooting Tweed Deluxe Build

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lgehrig4

Need Help Troubleshooting Tweed Deluxe Build

Post by lgehrig4 »

I just finished my 5E3 build this weekend. I tested for continuity and the AC voltages voltages are within range. I'm having an issue with the channels.

The bright channel volume does not work and the tone pot doesn't have a noticeable effect. The normal volume, however, does work for both channels, with greater effect on the normal channel of course. I've looked over the layouts I've been following, mainly Weber's (the one on this page: https://robrobinette.com/How_The_5E3_Deluxe_Works.htm) , and I'm not sure where I could have went wrong. I checked the resistance of complete the pots and they all were the same.

Preamp Voltages

V1
1. 160
2. 0
3. 1.2
4&5. 6V ac
6. 160
7. 0
8. 1.2
9. 6V ac

V2
1. 157
2. 0
3. 1.7
4&5. 6V ac
6. 188
7. 0
8. 42
9. 6V ac

Plugged into a variac set to 117v.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
professormudd

Re: Need Help Troubleshooting Tweed Deluxe Build

Post by professormudd »

I can't really see it all that well, but it looks like the bright cap might be making contact with the ground on your bright volume pot. Have you tried moving wire around with chopsticks?

Also, curious why you grounded your power tube bypass at the preamp rail? As I understand it, the prefered location for this ground is the power transformer mounting nut.

Edited to add.... I have had shrink tubing still allow enough current to pass through to cause weirdness. Maybe pull those heat-shrink ended wires back from the ground bus.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
lgehrig4

Post by lgehrig4 »

Thanks for checking! the cap wasn't touching and those wires with the shrink tube weren't the issue, but when I started smacking the lugs on that pot it started to work!! Looks like it's just cold solder joint!!!

That shrink tube really pissed me off because I had cut the wires too short. I'll probably just replace those wires.

As far as your question about the power tube bypass, I just did that because it was easy an I didn't know it mattered. That bus it actually grounded at the power transformer mounting nut.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

V2 pin 7 should be about 40V. Check that again.
lgehrig4

Post by lgehrig4 »

Not sure if it was me or the cold solder joints causing the erroneous measurements.

V2
pin7: 29
pin8: 60