Fender 400 PS, now on the bench. Know anything about this?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Fender 400 PS, now on the bench. Know anything about this?

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Matthews Guitars wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:44 am Saying it's an "R&T C package" tells me exactly nothing. Like "Oh, that's a left-handed retwizzlated garfledob."

Do you have any other information to offer about this device, its manufacture, its type, or function, to give me some context?
wow, that's a super nice way to ask for help.

It's a multi resistor package in one. instead of being rude to those helping you, maybe ask politely something like "sorry I still don't understand... could you clarify for a newbie?"

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Matthews Guitars

Post by Matthews Guitars »

Not intending that to be rude. I'm just saying, the name given doesn't have any meaning or context to me. Even after internet searching the term, I found nothing that shed any light on the subject.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Here’s a example from the preamp of a Ampeg V4 model .
It was called a intergreated tone stack by Ampeg.

I guess you can call yours what it is you care to!

Inside the dotted line on the schematic is the actual parts make up on the inside of this 6470000 module .

This is not the same brand as what’s in that Fender you have, nor will it have the same parts make up on its inside , but this gives you a idea of what your questioning about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Matthews Guitars wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:40 am I have six Sovtek 6550WEs to try in it, if there are no horror stories about that tube in this amp type.
From what I have gathered , these are the only 6550 rated for 800v. The rest out there are rated below 700v afaik . I know someone who tours with these in their AMPEG SVT with very reliable results . Fwiw
Charlie
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

If that fails the russkie KT88 marketed as Gold Lion are reliable.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Matthews Guitars

With help from a friend, we got all the issues with the 400PS sorted out and it came out great. Sounds like a Twin Reverb with a perfect master volume control that seemingly has no upper volume limit, but also goes down to whisper quiet. And it takes a Tube Screamer incredibly well. The repaired reverb circuit gets DEEP into surf reverb territory.

I took it to the Orlando Guitar Show, a couple weeks back, and ultimately traded it and got good value for it. So my travels with it have ended....for now. I can say there's a 50/50 chance that next year at the next show, I'll have a chance to get it back if I want. I've dealt with the new owner a few times and nothing is ever a truly permanent deal when people love to swap amps and trade stuff.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Well that’s good for you, but I hope what’s best for amp takes place with the new owner and that’s playing it and not just dusting it off every few months.

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Matthews Guitars

Oh, he plays his gear, he doesn't worship it. He also doesn't abuse it. Just the kind of guy we want to put an amp to good use. He'll probably use it to scare his neighbor's flock of chickens into a state where they stop laying eggs and molt prematurely. :mrgreen:
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Or load down the neighborhood power grid!😊