Adding a foot switchable HV FET boost to normal channel

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pjd3

Adding a foot switchable HV FET boost to normal channel

Post by pjd3 »

Hello and thanks for stopping by,

I built Rob Robinettes Blackvibe 6L6GC which is really the normal channel of a circa 1964 Fender Vibroverb.

While I find this amp great for certain dirty pedals, especially my Runoffgroove Tube-to-Fet conversion pedals, I do miss the extra sauce of the typical 3 gain stage 763 preamp circuits. The amp is so damn clean and loud! But, this clean and more hi-fi presentation can be perfect for somethings.

I was wondering if the inclusion of a foot switchable high voltage FET boost right at the input and just before the actual 1st tube stage would help bring on some of that chippy preamp excitement that comes from typical 3 gain stage 763 reverb channel found on many of the classic Fender's (pro, super, deluxe, twin, etc...).
Do you think its possible that this boost would push the existing 2 12ax7 tube stages into a state that would help to bring on some of that excitement (harmonic distortion I suspect it is) that gets lost with having only 2 12ax7 triode stages?

Although this high voltage Fet boost (from Headfirst amps) is not a tube, it is suppose to be far more dynamic than just using a typical boost pedal.
I have to wonder "if", that excitement found in the 3 triode reverb channel primarily comes from the much higher voltages found in the 2nd and 3rd triode stages than from the 1st tube stage that is moreso very clean and just producing gain to pushing the 2nd and 3rd tube stages. If that was even half true it would make this amp far more usable for non pedal clean playing - plus, being a foot switchable Fet Boost, you get to return the amp to the 2 gain stage preamp with a simple press of the foot.

What do you think? Is there any potential to this being the case or am I expecting something that wont happen as I hope it would?

Thanks for your time and efforts on my part! I'd be very interested in your take on this possibility.
Best,
Phil Donovan
I’m only one person (most of the time)