5e9-a in a Weber 6MX chassis?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

johnnyreece

5e9-a in a Weber 6MX chassis?

Post by johnnyreece »

I've recently been getting back into building (slowly), and am trying to clear out some stuff I have. One of the things I have is a Weber 6MX chassis, and I was thinking of building a tweed Tremolux in it. Attached is the beginning of a layout I've done. I don't have the PT/OT drawn in yet, and there are some grounds missing. I've tried to draw it to scale. Does this seem feasible?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sluckey

Re: 5e9-a in a Weber 6MX chassis?

Post by sluckey »

Probably feasible. What are the dimensions of the 6MX chassis? Is it a blank chassis?

You might be surprised at what someone could put in even a 12" x 6.5" x 2.5" box.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

They don't have the 6MX dimensions, that I can find, but they do have a drawing of the 6O100, which looks exactly the same, to my eye. I've attached it. The 6MX used to be a great deal. I think they were around $25, or something like that. Not bad for a fully punched aluminum chassis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

johnnyreece wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:04 pm They don't have the 6MX dimensions, that I can find, but they do have a drawing of the 6O100, which looks exactly the same, to my eye. I've attached it. The 6MX used to be a great deal. I think they were around $25, or something like that. Not bad for a fully punched aluminum chassis.
You just said, "One of the things I have is a Weber 6MX chassis". Can't you just put a tape measure on it? :?
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

I absolutely can! It's in my shop, buried in my pile of "future things to tackle". From the drawing, the dimensions are approximately 16.75" x 6.5" x 2.5". My apologies for not having it handy. I thought the drawing would be a whole "picture is worth a thousand words" type of thing. It shows the location of all the punched holes, for reference.
Craig B

Post by Craig B »

johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Thanks. That's where I got the dimensions for the 6O100. The 6MX isn't listed, for some reason. Either way, I did confirm last night that the 6MX matched the dimensions on the 6O100. I didn't check to see if all the holes matched, but again, they appear to.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

So, I went ahead and worked on this. Please note, I've not compared it to the schematic yet. Also, I haven't drawn the wiring for the output, as I don't know what I'm doing with the OT yet. Also, the trem tube will need some kind of adapter plate, as the hole is for an octal. I suppose I could run a 6SL7 instead. We'll see what happens!

Edit 3-30-22: Found some minor errors and updated my layout. Also note, my PT is from an old Philco radio, so the color scheme on the wires is very different from what we're used to.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

After more thinking about this, I would like to use a 6SL7 instead of 12AX7 for the tremolo. Are they close enough to use the same 12AX7 values, or should things be changed? I appreciate any input!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

JR,

I stopped in as I see you are building a 5E9A. I am building one as well. I got one of Weber's Bandmaster chassis which was silkscreened for the Tremolux 5E9A. The only downside is the PT cutout is for a Bandmaster, not a Tremolux. As such, I am using a low B+ Bandmaster PT. I will be sticking with the stock, 12AX7 driven tremolo circuit, however.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Cool! Can't wait to see how yours turns out! I've got a couple projects ahead of this one (need to finish the cab for my radio amp, and the transformers for "Is Potato" just arrived today), but I'm excited to get to it. It's been a while since I've built anything this powerful (mostly been SE stuff lately).