TWEEDLE DEE JAMES TONE STACK

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

TWEEDLE DEE JAMES TONE STACK

Post by ViperDoc »

Been down with a cold and looking at new projects. I wonder about the best way to put a James tone stack into a Tweedle Dee 5E3? I took the James stack circuit from Blencoe's book and slapped it into the Tweedle Dee schematic in two different places. Which would be better? Would a tone stack driver be necessary, like an added cathode follower? Just curious about more capable tone shaping in a Tweedle Dee. I've seen mention of people liking it but no documentation.
VIPERDOC TWEEDLE DEE JAMES 5E3 DRAFT.pdf
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just plug it in, man.
Reeltarded

Re: TWEEDLE DEE JAMES TONE STACK

Post by Reeltarded »

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33382

You have to have seen this thread.. it I were going to change the tone configuration I would do it where the basic idea goes. Those are some good amps.

Fred has one that does everything. That amp is crazy!

I don't meld so well with the James stack except when using it stock in the normal side of a blonde amp cascaded into the vibe channel. It's ok but I think works better in a big headroom situation.

Stop or you are going to make me solder! :P
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

brian,

I've just seen you PM. Sorry for the late reply been away from here for a while.

I've never experimented with a tone stack but I did experiment with tone shaping via the bypss caps to high pass the bass frequencies.

I have variable NFB and also a cascade switch for extra gain on my amp.

I will say this: It's combined with a Celestion 1x12 Alnico cream and in the last year I've used this amp on 95% of all my sessions. It seems to be able to give me such a wide variety of sounds I find I'm not using most of my other amps these days.

For big loud cleans I'm still using the JM/SSS amp I built with the 80's peavey transformers with over 500v on the plates. I use it with a vintage celestion G12 2x12 cab.

M
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Reeltarded wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:22 am https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33382

You have to have seen this thread.. it I were going to change the tone configuration I would do it where the basic idea goes. Those are some good amps.

Fred has one that does everything. That amp is crazy!

I don't meld so well with the James stack except when using it stock in the normal side of a blonde amp cascaded into the vibe channel. It's ok but I think works better in a big headroom situation.

Stop or you are going to make me solder! :P
Thanks for the reminder, I do recall that thread. I will reread that, thanks!
Last edited by ViperDoc on Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just plug it in, man.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:09 am brian,

I've just seen you PM. Sorry for the late reply been away from here for a while.

I've never experimented with a tone stack but I did experiment with tone shaping via the bypss caps to high pass the bass frequencies.

I have variable NFB and also a cascade switch for extra gain on my amp.

I will say this: It's combined with a Celestion 1x12 Alnico cream and in the last year I've used this amp on 95% of all my sessions. It seems to be able to give me such a wide variety of sounds I find I'm not using most of my other amps these days.

For big loud cleans I'm still using the JM/SSS amp I built with the 80's peavey transformers with over 500v on the plates. I use it with a vintage celestion G12 2x12 cab.

M
No worries and thanks for the update. The Celestion Cream is dynamite. How often do you cascade your preamp? Your amp sounded incredible in your video. Do you recall the cathode bypass values you went for? Thx.
Just plug it in, man.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Reeltarded wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:22 am https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33382

You have to have seen this thread...
Not sure that's a reference ... :?

Anyway, thanks to Fred and Marcus, I collected some valuable information. So, afterwards, I'd say the next revision of my Tweedle Dee Deluxe will implement JUST all the mods suggested by Marcus - but maybe a smaller (~2uF) bypass cap for the "hi plate"/normal channel for I have one spare to experiment with.
norburybrook wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:09 amI did experiment with tone shaping via the bypass caps...
:?:

:)