5E3 Transformer: Heyboer or PacificAudio?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rschiller

5E3 Transformer: Heyboer or PacificAudio?

Post by rschiller »

I've built more complex amps (AB763 + Trainwreck, Boogie, Marshall 2204, etc w/ optoisolator switching & reverb) and am going to do a 5E3 because they sound great. Several good options for transformers though I will avoid Mercury Magnetics as I tried one of their 5E3 OTs in an original 1958 5E3 and thought it too "modern" sounding. I had a problem with the original multi-tap Stancor A3880 not putting out enough power amp and Mercury advised me the transformer was shorted internally and needed a rebuild; turns out the taps were not set properly and the transformer is fine.

Narrowed down to going with either a set of Heyboer or PacificAudioMagnetics. Anyone have any thoughts or comparisons on these? Or other suggestions?

thanks to all.
ViperDoc

Re: 5E3 Transformer: Heyboer or PacificAudio?

Post by ViperDoc »

I’ve never seen anyone turn down a Heyboer, especially these days.
Just plug it in, man.
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

I'd go Pacific.

cheers,
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If there is a weight difference between the two and you would like the bottom end to hold together a tad better then how the original Fender one did then go for the one with more mass.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!