6V6 to 5581 or 6L6 in Princeton Reverb (Transformer Questions)

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cs1botasky

6V6 to 5581 or 6L6 in Princeton Reverb (Transformer Questions)

Post by cs1botasky »

Hello guys,

May I ask if I wanna upgrade the 6V6s in my Princeton Reverb to 5581s or 6L6s, is it better to go for a larger OT and PT?

If so, shall I go with the OT and PT for Vibrolux Reverb or Twin Reverb and would there be more benefit if I go for something even larger?

Do you have any experience in Heyboer, Mercury Magnetics and Hammond OTs and PTs? Do they basically sound the same as long as the specs of the transformers are the same?

Do you think there would be a change of sound if rewiring a 110v transformer to 230v? Or using a step up transformer would yield best result for tone?

The power tubes (6V6) in the Deluxe Reverb are same as Princeton Reverb, but the Deluxe Reverb is a higher wattage amp. Are the OT and PT larger in a Deluxe Reverb than those in Princeton Reverb? If it's true, except getting louder and getting a larger headroom, would there be any other tonal change in upgrading the OT and PT of a Princeton Reverb to those in a Deluxe Reverb?

Joe Bonamassa upgraded his vintage 1964 PR with 5881 and put in his signature 12" Celestion JB-85 in there, it sounds pretty amazing!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CZNg6oXOqkf/

Thanks much for your help in advance! :)
martin manning

Re: 6V6 to 5581 or 6L6 in Princeton Reverb (Transformer Questions)

Post by martin manning »

Is this an original PR, reissue, or clone?

To get full power from 5881 or 6L6 you will need a new PT and an OT with a 4k primary. DR transformers have a bit more current capability than PR, but I would go with Vibrolux transformers. The question is, will they fit?

Same-spec OT's will sound a bit different due to the details of their construction. There are dual primary PT's which can be configured for either 120 or 240V. Any difference in sound is more likely to be 50Hz vs. 60Hz mains frequency.

If you are looking to copy the JB amp, I suggest finding out more details.
Stevem

Re: 6V6 to 5581 or 6L6 in Princeton Reverb (Transformer Questions)

Post by Stevem »

The new bigger output transformer will fit with redrilled mounting holes, but that narrow chassis and the new power transformer and the recto tube will meet up in a problem.

You can extend the new PTs wires , heavily shrink rap them and mount it to the inside wall of the amp.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!