Tweed twin HP 6v6 Build

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JGK

Tweed twin HP 6v6 Build

Post by JGK »

Finally finished my Tweed Twin HP 6v6. Lots of experimenting and fine tuning. Did the cascading gain mod with a Marshall channel. Was way too much so a changed it back to a standard bright and regular channel. Did add a 3 way negative feedback switch and a tone stack lift, dual bias controls and a PPIMV. Ran a quad of New EH 6v6s through it had one drift and red plate within 20 mins had the same problem with Tung-sol reissues also an EH product both were biased at about 22mA at 398 volts on the plates. Swapped them out for some old set Hytrons I had laying around and had no problems. I did up the screen resistors to 1k 5 watt. Pretty happy with it and did experiment running a set of old RCA 6l6s in it too and they sounded really sweet, no denying the Bassman roots there. Will have to do some experimenting as far as new 6v6s I guess I'll get some J&Js. I have never had good luck with the EH 6v6s they have red platted in my original Super Champ too. Its is a loud amp with the 15" speaker it almost makes you sound like your playing a size bigger set of strings. Lots of clean but the MV brings it down to manageable levels. I did build it run it with a pedal board and play gigs with and its sounds big! Thanks to those at the form for all the help and advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brewdude

Re: Tweed twin HP 6v6 Build

Post by brewdude »

Very pretty build
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Very cool amp! I am surprised you had trouble with the New Sensor 6V6s. They had been advertised to handle up to 450 volts on the plates, right? Not sure about the screens.

I had a pair of JJ 6V6S in a 1987 clone a few years ago. They handled 425-430 volts no problem. I liked EL34s better so swapped them out and hardly had to touch the bias. More punch than with 6V6s. I gave them to a friend of mine to try in his 1987 clone.

Again, Very cool amp.
JGK

Post by JGK »

I'm think Tung-sols are just rebranded EH 6v6s. They look very similar. I put the Tung-sols in and biased them at around 22 mAs with about 398 on the plates after about 20 mins I could see the screens flashing and 3 of them red plated, one took out a screen resistor. I also had a pair of recent 6v6 EH red plate in my original Super Champ which is in excellent maintenance. I think its just luck of the draw I know they are advertised to take high plate voltage. J&Js would hold up without a problem. The TSs went back to the dealer so I will see what happens
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

JGK wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:13 pm I'm think Tung-sols are just rebranded EH 6v6s. They look very similar. I put the Tung-sols in and biased them at around 22 mAs with about 398 on the plates after about 20 mins I could see the screens flashing and 3 of them red plated, one took out a screen resistor. I also had a pair of recent 6v6 EH red plate in my original Super Champ which is in excellent maintenance. I think its just luck of the draw I know they are advertised to take high plate voltage. J&Js would hold up without a problem. The TSs went back to the dealer so I will see what happens
Great looking build.
I had the same problem with Tung Sol 6v6 red plating in an ODS build when they get in the 400v area. I switched out to JJ 6v6 and no problem. Only regret was that the Tung Sols did sound a little sweeter than the JJs in that particular circuit. I probably could have gotten the JJs to sound similar if I adjusted the preamp slightly.

Cheers
Guy
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

I had the same issue with Tung Sol 6V6, either red plating or failure at 400V.

The JJ will work and last week if you pass a few weeks and are not noisy/microphonic. Good tubes, more like a 6L6 soundwise, or a cross between V and L.

I found the EH 6V6, if available these days, to work quite nicely at those voltages. I did bias them by using temperature (it sits around 65% dissipation) and that way got the best life out of them at that voltage (and still a “hot” bias). Something like 265 degF.