Vintage Wide Panel Princeton Questions

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dragonbat13

Vintage Wide Panel Princeton Questions

Post by dragonbat13 »

I have this wide panel princeton. The two letters on the tube chart are unreadable. Not only that they are probably unreliable.

Here's the deal:. This amp is a "crossover" year amp. The tube chart was printed with 6SC7, but next to that the builder, who wrote the matching serial number of 4130, wrote besides it 12ax7, with the same ink pen.

The chassis was originally drilled for an octal preamp tube, but an adapter was installed for the noval socket.

Here's my other problems. The output transformer mounted to the speaker. I replaced the speaker but only one hole would line up so I tie wrapped the other side. Vibration broke one of the leads and it needs repair.

Also, the original speaker needs to be reckoned. I think. I have read lately that if it works and sounds right then don't worry about the holes.

Anyway, my questions. Who to fix the OT. Who to recone, and what year is this dang thing?

Thanks.
ok_state_blues

Re: Vintage Wide Panel Princeton Questions

Post by ok_state_blues »

Pictures would probably help the group with your questions
Stevem

Re: Vintage Wide Panel Princeton Questions

Post by Stevem »

Your amp is a 5D2 model built on a 5C2 chassis.

The best way to date it will be by the date code on the transformers and or on the control pots, or better yet on the multi section can filter.

Your output transformer will need to get sent out to a audio transformer rewinder and you will likely pay 5 times more for that service then what you could get a new replacement for.

To bolt it up properly to your replacement speaker you will need to make a small metal extension plate so you can span both holes.
A good cheap starting point would be a small book shelf angle bracket.

Many of of these amps where made with Mallory brand can filters and some where made with 3 individual tubular filters.
There EIA code ink stamped on the can type starts with 235, the next four digits are the month of the year followed by the year.

So for example a code of 235 3454 would mean that the filter was made on the 34th week of 1954.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!