Moded tremolux.

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

DCR

Moded tremolux.

Post by DCR »

Hey all, long time lurker here this is my first time posting up but I need some help identifying what is going on with an amp I just bought.

Been looking for a modded blonde head to match an old 2x12 I scored on Craigslist a while back, and I found an old 1964 Tremolux head thst is full of orange drop caps, recovered and fit in my budget
Haven't got it yet so I can't post more detailed pics yet but can anyone see what's going on in the amp? The orange drops make me think Dumble mods but I'm not sure exactly how to tell, any insight would be most appreciated!
hhxsrjs8jcivcn2pg0rl.jpg
wg6cmrvyijm1ua4o60tu.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Re: Moded tremolux.

Post by bepone »

not dumble mods,
somebody replaced all carbon composition resistors to carbon film (actually they are Draloric LCA , good ones) and metal oxide (looks like NTE , metal oxide providing lower noise than originally carbon composition) ,
capacitors have been replaced to Orange drops type 715 how i can see, polyproplines. they are offering tighter bass but also more presence.

so all in all this will sound different than original, better or not? you will find by yourself..
DCR

Post by DCR »

Thank you! So basically it is stock values just different manufacturers and materials used throughout?
Hopefully it sounds good!
bepone

Post by bepone »

yes, it is a muddy picture to see all the colors in cathodes, but looks like all normal , 100k in anodes, stock values, different material.
im using 715's they are good for clean, giving more "chime".
if the output transformer is original (punched numbers corresponds to the schematic) and tubes are ok, it will sound good!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Yes, agreed.
I looks like it's fully been gone thru with better quality tighter tolerance parts.

By far the things that will effect the tone and feel of the are, 1) the first preamp tube for each channel , the output tubes and how there bias is set and then the speakers.

Note that in terms of speakers you use this amp wants a 4 ohm load.

These amps are exactly like the Bandmaster of the blackface era but for the rectifier tube and the needed power transformer for that.

These amps only output some 36 watts to the Bandmasters 40 plus with a strong set of tubes, but when cranked up and being pushed hard these amps sing better due to the tube rectifier!

Since your running 2-12s ", and if you like cranked out tones and responce and feel,then you will want speakers that are a bit inefficient so you CAN Crank the amp without it being excessively loud.

Remember these amps came with 2-10" drivers not 12"!

Also note that you will need a foot switch to activate the Tremolo.

If you do not have such, but have a old phono RCA cable on hand then cut , strip it and twist the wires together and that will activate the Tremolo for you.

This assumes that the Opto sensor and the 1/2 of one of the preamp tubes that produces then Tremolo are both good.😊
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
DCR

Post by DCR »

Thanks for the replies! The guy had the 2x10 cab for it too but with shipping it was too much extra $ for me right now. Plus it is retolex'd and had new speakers.
My old cab I put a pair of Celestion creams in because I got it unloaded. But it sounds really great and I'm on 17 acres there so I can still crank it up!
I don't have a single button pedal just a dual one from my twin rev. But I'll grab one if it doesn't have one. Good to know I can just complete the circut with a chunk of rca though too!
Thanks again for the replies, pretty excited to see how it sounds. It is all the original transformers luckily , but I like that it's modded a bit because I may try revoicing one input depending on how she sounds compared to my twin!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

You can use the reverb section of your Twins foot pedal on the Tremlux.

The rca end that has the sheilding is the one to use.

Don’t waste time on making a input with a different tone, just re-voice one channel.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!