custom vibrolux reverb rebuild

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

thetragichero

custom vibrolux reverb rebuild

Post by thetragichero »

picked up a 2000s fender custom vibrolux reverb amp for a song because the fella who owned it before tried to do "the fromel mods" on it and mucked up the pcbs (not hard to do anyway, but still a shame)
so i gutted it and rebuilt on eyelet board. normal channel is blonde bassman normal channel (with proper 350kB tapped treble pot thanks to weber). bright channel is blackface vibrolux but with 1uf first stage cathode bypass cap and 22nf off the plate (mini toggle switch throws a 1k5/25uf in parallel to add some more grit and low end). i've never liked how fender did the two channel amps with them being out of phase, so after tone stack recovery stages the channels are joined with a capacitive mixer and then onto the reverb (reverb in both channels plus can 'jump the channels' like an old marshall four holer). this amp came with 12ax7 phase inverter and no global negative feedback, i went with a proper 12at7 phase inverter and roughly blackface-spec nfb (used 1k resistor instead of 820r because that's what i had). trem is brown vibroverb bias vary instead of bothering with a roach. layout is super cramped because i started it before i even picked up the amp. while a bit of a pain to work on no negative sonic effects. next time i'll wait until i get proper measurements and make my life easier

tube chart scanned and updated to reflect the amp as it is now

PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
Colossal

Re: custom vibrolux reverb rebuild

Post by Colossal »

Really nice work! Well done. Looks far nicer than the PCB version anyway, probably sounds better too.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Great job... Looks very nice.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't polish a turd!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

from what I've read even stock these are very nice amps, albeit noisy. but i suppose no global negative feedback (why, fender?) will do that
it's going to a local guy who runs an all analog studio tomorrow when i drop off his 73 pro reverb (was blowing mains fuse and filament artificial center tap resistors. figured it would be an arced socket but ended up being a power tube with an internal plate-heater short. the other one tested bad for emissions anyway so it was time for new tubes)
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Nice resurrection job!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!