carbon comp resistors

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rutledj

carbon comp resistors

Post by rutledj »

I saw a youtube video of a guy that repairs amps for a living and he suggested that the blackface amps just sounded better with carbon comp resistors. I built a DR recently but used metal film throughout. Nice and quiet. just wondering if replacing some with some carbon comps would produce different (better) results or if it would just be the same but noisier. I have some Kiwame carbon comps that are supposed to be quieter than typical carbon comps.

Anyone experimented with this?
thetragichero

Re: carbon comp resistors

Post by thetragichero »

at bare minimum i would keep input stage grid/grid stopper resistors as 1w metal film. they're quiet and cheaper than carbon comp. i use some carbon comps in fender-type builds but prefer metal/carbon film for most of it
this is a good read: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/c ... oncomp.htm
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Two words, Allen Bradley. :D
CW
bepone

Post by bepone »

i have also built several DRs with carbon comps and i didnt feel any excessive (if any) noise. with decades , moisture etc maybe, but new is ok. noise in low gain amps like fender is low with all resistor types. and sound is not..

did many times comparation in anode first stage, replacement CC<> metal film , and you can feel immediatelly the difference.

kamaya japan carbon comps from mouser are also ok
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Sounding better and just plain sounding like a vintage amp with CC resistors is highly subjective in my book!

The only time I have heard it make a smidge of a difference is 1) if audio is passing thru the resistor 2) if that audio signal was big enough and also clipping.

Remember, resistors do not just have a DC rating, but a AC as well.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have yet to see a video on You Tube showing the difference between carbon comp, carbon film and metal film. There must sure be something in that?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

I just saw a YT video that said Reptilian Space Aliens have a military base in Antarctica from which they fly most of the craft that people report as UFO's

It went on to say that they've been having navigation problems (because they're Space Aliens) and have hired Elvis Presley to pilot their craft while they fly near Earth

I'm not sure if this is all true or not but be careful what you choose to believe ---- Especially from random YT videos
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I have been to that frozen continent twice while serving with the US military and while flying over it in day light it’s hard to deny that there are massive Pyramids there that are far older then in Egypt or in Mexico / South America!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

Gave it a try. Guess my ears are too old to notice any difference. Waste of time.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

rutledj wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:06 pmGave it a try. Guess my ears are too old to notice any difference. Waste of time.
The supposed benefit is the addition of some second order harmonic distortion where large voltage swings are present. That would appear at all frequencies, so it's not just a young ears thing.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

gldtp99 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:22 am I just saw a YT video that said Reptilian Space Aliens have a military base in Antarctica from which they fly most of the craft that people report as UFO's

It went on to say that they've been having navigation problems (because they're Space Aliens) and have hired Elvis Presley to pilot their craft while they fly near Earth

I'm not sure if this is all true or not but be careful what you choose to believe ---- Especially from random YT videos
They get lost because their Nav aids were built with CC resistors and are not as accurate. But it takes them to nicer places.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Mark

Post by Mark »

gldtp99 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:22 am I just saw a YT video that said Reptilian Space Aliens have a military base in Antarctica from which they fly most of the craft that people report as UFO's

Thanks for putting crap on me for pointing there is no recorded examples of the effectiveness of carbon comp resistors.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Mark

Post by Mark »

martin manning wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:49 pm
rutledj wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:06 pmGave it a try. Guess my ears are too old to notice any difference. Waste of time.
The supposed benefit is the addition of some second order harmonic distortion where large voltage swings are present. That would appear at all frequencies, so it's not just a young ears thing.
A lot of people overlooked this part of RG Keen’s article on carbon comp resistors.

“But with a 10V signal, you only get 0.35% distortion, and it starts down the slippery slope to inaudibility. More importantly, these percentages represent the maximum beyond which a resistor would have been rejected in the 1950's. Today's CC resistors are much lower distortion. From IRC's web site, we find some numbers. A typical resistor voltage coefficient can be seen at http://www.irctt.com/pdf_files/IBT.pdf - which shows carbon comp at 0.005%/volt for that company's products. Another was 0.008%/V. These are smaller than the max allowed under the JAN military spec.”
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
bepone

Post by bepone »

carbon comp is premium resistor if you know how to use it. it is non inductive.. and like that, best can be used where?
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I have a huge stash of AB and Ohmite CC resistors. If someone wanted to do an A/B/C comparison of an amp with all three compositions - CC, CF and MF - I'd donate to the cause. Not that I think the CCs are magic. I wish I had an old SF Bassman or the like. I may just do a video and post it on YT. I know I have enough of all three types to pull that off.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo