PT transformer for 5F11 build - adequate?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

6G3Victory

PT transformer for 5F11 build - adequate?

Post by 6G3Victory »

Hey all, new guy here. Gonna start my 3rd build soon (built a 5C1 and then a 6G3), a 5F11.

Was hoping to use an AO-24956 PT (Hammond organ) which seems to weigh in at about 550v (loaded. I believe I measured 593v unloaded when I first obtained it, I’ll have to recheck), and I don’t know for sure, but I’m guessing about 75mA (does anyone here know?). This transformer uses an EZ 81, which should give me a bit more DCV than a 5Y3, so bear that in mind.

I know this is pretty close to what a Harvard PT put out, and I know both circuits are very similar. I also know the 5F11 came with a higher voltage PT, but I am not sure why.

Does it seem reasonable to use my organ tranny? As far as I can tell, the tremolo of the 5F11 wouldn’t require much (if any) more voltage/amperage. And, I thought it might be good to shoot for a more vintage-like voltage as well.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks, Kris
sluckey

Re: PT transformer for 5F11 build - adequate?

Post by sluckey »

That PT was used in the AO-44 reverb amp. The Hammond AO-44 is a small cathode biased push/pull amp using a pair of ECL86/6GW8 tubes. Voltage wise, it's OK, but it may be lacking in the B+ current rating for a 2x6V6 amp. Filament current may be even more lacking. And there is no 5VAC winding.

I was able to successfully add a 12AX7 without straining the filament winding, but your 5F11 circuit may be too much of a load. If I had that PT I probably would be tempted to try it in a 5F11 but measure the loaded filament string to see if it's holding up. Still leaves you without a rectifier although the EZ81 could probably supply 2x6V6s. Here's my AO-44 conversion for info...

http://sluckeyamps.com/PeeWee/peewee.htm
6G3Victory

Post by 6G3Victory »

Thanks Sluckey, for the the input. I have seen your peewee amp before here, and was thinking of building it initially.

I don’t want this amp to fall short of its power potential, and I don’t need to ruin a PT, so I’ll order a Hammond replacement.

Cheers,
Kris
didit

Post by didit »

sluckey wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:32 am That PT was used in the AO-44 reverb amp. The Hammond AO-44 is a small cathode biased push/pull amp using a pair of ECL86/6GW8 tubes. Voltage wise, it's OK, but it may be lacking in the B+ current rating for a 2x6V6 amp. Filament current may be even more lacking. And there is no 5VAC winding.

I was able to successfully add a 12AX7 without straining the filament winding, but your 5F11 circuit may be too much of a load. If I had that PT I probably would be tempted to try it in a 5F11 but measure the loaded filament string to see if it's holding up. Still leaves you without a rectifier although the EZ81 could probably supply 2x6V6s. Here's my AO-44 conversion for info...

http://sluckeyamps.com/PeeWee/peewee.htm
Perhaps silicon based power supply rectification that’s choke-loaded would enable design that relieves sufficient filament current for 6V6 and also benefits improved HT DC regulation. A few Henries with a small resistance should put the resulting voltage in a good place.

Best .. Ian