AB763 Stunflower

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

romberg

Re: Trem-O-Nator is trem-o-nating.

Post by romberg »

Ten Over wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:20 pm The saw-tooth pattern is typical for the roach tremolo.

If you have a 470k plate resistor on the LFO, then try 220k and see if that increases the intensity.
Thanks for the tip! I did clip in another 470k in parallel with the one I have on the LFO plate and it did increase the intensity like you say. However it looks like the quality of the sin wave suffers a bit in doing so. In the end it is all about what sounds the best. I'm going to experiment with a few values between 220k and 470k and see if I can hear and difference.

Mike
romberg

Re: AB763 Stunflower

Post by romberg »

sluckey wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:13 pm Hey Mike, would you mind if I put a link to this topic on my Trem-O-Nator webpage? Another success story would be great, especially since you used Xvive.
I don't mind at all. There may be some useful information here regarding the specs of vtl5c1 reproductions that will work (and not work) with a trem-o-nator.

Mike
romberg

Post by romberg »

I ended up going with a 330k plate resistor on the trem-o-nator triode. It gives a bit mre depth without sacrificing too much of the sin wave shape. I also decided to bump up the cathode bypass on the second stage of the normal channel to 2.2u. Two stages of 0.68u cut so much bass that the bass contrl did not do much. The 2.2u fixes this without adding in so much bass it can't be dialed out with the tone stack. I updated the schematic on the first post to reflect this.

Here is a picture of the installed trem-o-nator. There are now fewer parts on the board. I did keep the cathode parts in case I decide on what to do with the unused triode in the future.
trem-o-nator.png
Finally, here are a couple of pictures of it mounted in the cabinet. The vintage cloth is straight out of topanga canyon ~69 and was the inspiration for the name :)
cab-front.jpg
cab-back.jpg
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Fantastic build, Mike! Love the valence! Very neat circuit too.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Amp looks great!

My eyes hurt!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.