hypothetically tweaking a champ build

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cys

hypothetically tweaking a champ build

Post by cys »

If a Champ clone with the following gut shot hypothetically came into your possession, what would you change first and why? I don't own it (yet) but it has a reasonable noise floor and sounds like a Champ should. There are (many) things that bother me about this build, but I can't get away from how good it sounds.

(Since I don't have that many posts here, I'll add that I've done two scratch builds at this point, a TW Liverpool and a Dumble 183, both documented here on TAG, and I've done garden variety troubleshooting and repairing of my own amps through the years. I recently picked up a scope and used it to detect and fix a flyback transient issue that was consuming (shorting) power tubes on a new to me 64 Bassman head).

champ.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brewdude

Re: hypothetically tweaking a champ build

Post by brewdude »

If it sounds that good, why do you want to change it?
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Yeah, just enjoy the creative workmanship... :wink:
(that being written, I usually can't help but changing some bolts'n nuts for fancy)
cys

Post by cys »

I find interesting how much unique creativity went in to certain elements. I'm not completely opposed to leaving it alone.
chris.lounsbury

Post by chris.lounsbury »

Tidy up the fuse holder and give the safety ground a dedicated mechanical chassis connection?
cys

Post by cys »

My first pass will be to clean up joints as needed and look over the grounds. I'm going to avoid anything intrusive to preserve tone. The frayed wire joint on the fuse holder gets looked after first. It's the first thing I see when looking at the gut shot. Thanks. I did purchase the amp. So I'm moving beyond the hypothetical early next week when it hopefully shows up.