1971 Super Six Reverb

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stevem

Re: 1971 Super Six Reverb

Post by Stevem »

These era amps where known to have some tremolo ticking in the back ground due to the wiring layout, does yours?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BrownIsound

Post by BrownIsound »

I only played it for a couple of minutes to make sure it worked. I didn’t scrutinize it enough.

I assume this ticking would be when the circuit is “on”, but intensity is”1”?
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If yes, the roach has to only be flashing if the amp has this issue.

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BrownIsound

Post by BrownIsound »

No discernible ticking in the amp with the intensity all the way off.

One sort of mod I did was solder in a solid lead from the aux speaker out ground where the OT is connected to the normal speaker out ground. In my mind it is not good practice to count on the jack grounds to connect through the chassis, even if they are this close.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Really what needs to got into grounding wise with these amps is to run the PT center tap right to the first filter then back to the chassis grounding location next to the Pt.

Next after that is to open up the daisy chained ground at the screen filter and then run a new wire back to the chassis ground.

I drill the chassis for a machine screw and solder on rings to the wires and then bolt them down to the machine screw stud.

BrownIsound

Post by BrownIsound »

Hah, when everything is buttoned in the cabinet and the trem clicked on, I can hear the ticking at a very low level (intensity “1”). It’s low enough that I’m not really bothered by it, and I would mostly use the foot switch anyway, so it would only really be an issue when the term is switched on and you’re at a 1 intensity, which if it’s on the intensity will most certainly be turned up.
BrownIsound

Post by BrownIsound »

I just got my amp’s brother, a Quad Reverb. And what I mean by brother is that all the transformers, save the chokes, have the exact same date codes between the amps. They must have been on the assembly line at almost the same time.
IMG_7543.jpeg
IMG_7556.jpeg
That twin reverb looks like a small amp next to those.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

That's a nice collection of big Fenders! Funny about the transformer codes. I have two Twins with the exact same serial number. Go figure!

If you're thinking about grill cloth to make them all look nice and the same (Super Six doesn't really need it) Mojo has some inexpensive Fender blackface grille cloth on ebay. I've done a few amps and the imperfection doesn't bother me. Install it semi tight and then hit it lightly with a hair dryer. Voila!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165688662214
BrownIsound

Post by BrownIsound »

The previous owner of the Quad had the grill cloth and baffle rebuilt. The Twin is on loan from a friend 😛.

I don’t get to play these too often, but the Super Six is going to get some exercise this weekend at a backyard party gig.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Outdoor gigs are where the SS really shines. Have fun!
BrownIsound

Post by BrownIsound »

Soundman issues aside, it was a nice gig. The seasonably cool and overcast weather made it perfect for playing, as opposed to sweating my balls off. The Super Six performed awesomely.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing the photo.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Smitty wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:45 pm Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing the photo.
Glad you got to let it breathe. Nice archtop.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.