Problem with Princeton build

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rutledj

Problem with Princeton build

Post by rutledj »

I built the Hoffman Amps Princeton Reverb circuit and have a issue where it has a really loud low frequency tone coming from it. Doesn't sound like typical 60 cycle hum. I can put an attenuator between the amp and speaker, set it to 50%, and the tone goes away and my guitar sounds really nice through it, but really loud, even on 1. Hoping someone might have some suggestions as to where to look. I've been through the wiring with a meter ohming everything out. Tried different tubes as well. Voltages all appear normal. Reverb and Tremolo work fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: Problem with Princeton build

Post by xtian »

Sounds like positive feedback from the NFB loop (from OT secondary back to PI). To test, disconnect the NFB wire (yellow wire from output jack to brown resistor on board). If this solves the noise, then you need to swap your OT primary wires (brown and blue wires connected to pins 3 of your power tube sockets).
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

May I suggest, while you have that yellow wire disconnected, replace it with a longer wire and route it so it doesn't pass so close to V3.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I would remove each preamp tube one by starting with V1 to see if without the attenuation that removing any one of them makes the issue go way.
This would at least prove out that the output stage is good.

I will also ask you to set your voltmeter for ac and report back as to what you have for ac ripple ( millivolts ) showing up on both pins 1 and 6 of V1.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I would remove each preamp tube one by starting with V1 to see if without the attenuation that removing any one of them makes the issue go way.
This would at least prove out that the output stage is good.

I will also ask you to set your voltmeter for ac and report back as to what you have for ac ripple ( millivolts ) showing up on both pins 1 and 6 of V1.

I would also ask that just for testing purposes you set the negative voltage on pin 5 of the output tubes to the highest ( most negative) it will go.

Also unplug your reverb tank for now and keep the reverb set to 0.

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

Reversing the OT wires fixed the issue. Sounds great now and very quiet. Thanks for the help.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Good news and a simple fix!