DRRI robrob reverb mod (failure?)

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

monochromedout

DRRI robrob reverb mod (failure?)

Post by monochromedout »

I got new filter caps, a new speaker and a few resistors and caps to dress the plain jane up a bit.

I did the robrob reverb mod where I lift r12 and run the output side into r25 input side with a shielded coax cable. I added a 220k 1/2 watt resistor to c12 by lifting the backside leg. I used some silicone for really shitty strain relief. I also clipped the vibrato bright cap and replaced the mid tone cap on the normal side with a .022uf cap.

So the reverb and tremelo don't work on the normal side. Normal side works but has pretty unusable noise floor past 1 or 2 volume.

The odd part is that the vibrato side, besides having what I would call manageable noise (single-coils and all,) sounds great with reverb but the tremelo has developed a nasty ticking noise that was not present previously. Could kind of care less but might as well attempt to tamp it down while chassis is out.

Besides reverting the reverb/trem signal back to stock, what would be my options to reduce noise and trace the culprit of the normal channel reverb failure. I checked continuity on my coax run and both r12 and r25 resistance. Maybe the pathing of the coax is too close to some high voltage?

If anyone has any opinions I'd appreciate it as outside of building a couple AionFX pedals and some 12v work, I'm a novice. I know the mods are relatively simple, but I guess Moore's law kicked in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sluckey

Re: DRRI robrob reverb mod (failure?)

Post by sluckey »

Use your ohm meter to verify that you got the correct end of each of those components.