5E9 restoration project

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

zephyrblau

5E9 restoration project

Post by zephyrblau »

roll back the clock to the mid-80s. I just *had* to have a tweed amp. one day this one caught my attention, my eyes glazed over and I pulled out my wallet. I had *no* clue what I was buying. outside of some playing time @ home nothing much has changed save the covering "update" by a resident feline that died under mysterious circumstances :cry: knowing what I know now I would have passed back then, but...
the amp has been stored away since the last move. (read: too long) recently I decided to have another look to discover it's quite a mess. it looks like somebody tried to turn it into a 1 X 15 Bassman. I haven't dropped the chassis yet but I will shortly and get better gut shots.
this will be a long term project partly because I have *too* many projects and (mostly) because I want as many original parts as humanly possible. that includes the trannies. am I OCD ? am I crazy ? answer the second question first :wink:
the parts acquisition phase is under way. I have all or most of the carbon comp resistors with the exception of the values that are long since obsolete. (anybody hoarding 250K CC in 1/2 or 1 watt ?)
thanks to S Luckey I have Astron filter caps. one will likely need to be re-stuffed. I'll need another handful of Astrons in the appropriate values. I rounded up a nice teal P12Q w/ original cone but will need some ideas about what to use for the replacement baffle. (bog wood ? :shock: )
wish me luck. I'm gonna need it!
thanks for listening.
P1010023.JPG
P1010021.JPG
P1010019.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxkracht

Re: 5E9 restoration project

Post by maxkracht »

I have one used 1/2w 250k with longish leads sitting on my bench and some NOS 270k. The 250k is currently closer to 260k. I would be happy to put a couple in an envelope. 220k is going to be much easier to find and wouldn't make much of a difference...
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

agreed re: not making much of a difference. it's basically cosmetic. for the clones I build I use 240K.
thanks for the offer. PM sent.
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

@maxkracht
got the goodies. thanks again!
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

better gut shots.
P1010255.JPG
P1010254.JPG
P1010253.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

parts acquisition is under way.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Eyelet board looks nice and fresh. Good luck with the build!
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

thanks!
it is a fresh board. there's a newish ebay seller who will make up a board based on your submitted layout.
now... if someone was making un-tinned brass eyelets in the original size... :roll: :mrgreen: