Fender Super Reverb / VibroVerb 1 x 12 recommendations

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

robnik33

Fender Super Reverb / VibroVerb 1 x 12 recommendations

Post by robnik33 »

Looking to build the following amp for my nephew. He plays a Strat with his band in bars, clubs and breweries both indoors and outdoors unmiked almost all of the time. He has used his original 1964 Deluxe (no reverb), but it is not loud or clean enough plus he doesn't want to risk it when out and about. He wants a Fender clean pedal platform with reverb, no tremolo in a 1x12 combo cabinet with EVM12L for portability with the ability to connect another 1x12 when outdoors. His dad is a woodworker and will build the cabinets.

I'm thinking a 40-ish watt dual 6L6 AB763 in a Super Reverb chassis and cabinet slightly larger than a DR to fit the EVM12L, with a 125P5D PT and a 4/8 ohm OT. Also looking at RobRob's lead channel mod and 3-way NFB switch.

Questions:

1) Between the AB763 VibroVerb (1x15) or the Super Reverb (4x10) schematics, what do I need to change to voice for a 1x12 EVM12L?

2) While the SR will go a lot farther before break up, I'd like to include a master volume. Should that be a PPIMV or Trainwreck Type 2?

3) I'd like to do a 3 knob reverb with the tube space and 2 knobs freed up from tremolo delete. Something that trends towards 6G15. Maybe like the VibroKing with reverb on the front-end or is there another approach?

Other comments suggestions welcome!
sluckey

Re: Fender Super Reverb / VibroVerb 1 x 12 recommendations

Post by sluckey »

robnik33

Post by robnik33 »

First glance that is a Vibro King backend with no NFB? I was thinking about gluing the Vibro King reverb section to an AB763 backend with a 3-way NFB switch, with one position = none. Since you have gone thru this, what are the differences to the AB763 backend?
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

The VK never had any NFB. That entire amp is a VK. It has a 6G15 style reverb in front of the mostly AB763 preamp. The power amp is mostly AB763 without NFB.

I never built this.
robnik33

Post by robnik33 »

Nice work, I may be able to use this as a starting point.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I have found from helping out a whole bunch of players that even for indoor gigs with a 3 piece band with no keyboards that two 12s are needed when clean head room is called for at times.

The player with the best overall sound that I have helped out, and plays a real 65 Strat, also plays through 2 BF Deluxe reverbs.
One on each side of the stage.

It’s sounds killer with a stereo chorus pedal!

Unfortunately to run 2-12” you can’t use the nice BF Bassman Ot for the build.
A Hammond 1650H with the needed 4 ohm tap should be looked in to.

Don’t use its UL taps on the primary.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
robnik33

Post by robnik33 »

Thanks, dual DR is an interesting approach!

I'm oscillating between DR and VV as the base, with an OT that can handle a 1x12 extension cabinet. Given he has a 6V6 Deluxe, I'm leaning 6L6 VibroVerb with a master to tame volume when needed.
robnik33

Post by robnik33 »

Thanks all, decided to sell him a similar 6L6 amp I love. Consolation is now I have an excuse to build a Dumble!