5F6A Bassman clone, layout review please!

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

robnik33

5F6A Bassman clone, layout review please!

Post by robnik33 »

Building a 5F6A Tweed Bassman clone based on Rob Robinette's site. Maybe a head only or a 1 x 12 or 2 x 10 combo. I'll be using it only at home but I tend to pass my builds on to my nephews who gig in bars and clubs.

Looking to add the following mods:

Multi-tap OT with at least 4 and 8 ohms. I guess 2 would be nice to go full Bassman ...
Type 2 Lar Mar master volume, full/half power switch. For home use and hearing preservation
JTM45-ish Lead mod in normal channel, NFB switch for 5F6A/JTM. BTW I know that this won't get me all the way to JTM
Adjustable bias, Anti-pop R, rectifier backup diodes

Here is the layout with mods added, it would be great to get other eyes on it to see if I have done it properly.

Right now thinking about Bassman Weber PT and Heyboer OT, any other suggestions?

Also any input on the utility of the mods I have selected as well as ones I may have missed.

5F6A w Mods.png

BTW, I decided not to build a Dumble for now because I only play Strat and Tele and the Dumbly tone I like is mainly humbuckers. So the tweed Bassman seems to be the ticket to that warm classic overdrive tone for single coils.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pdf64

Re: 5F6A Bassman clone, layout review please!

Post by pdf64 »

Are you sure that the negative feedback resistor values have been scaled correctly?
A Marshall type chassis may make a much easier, more enjoyable build, and hence more likelihood of a successful outcome, than a tweed bassman chassis.
robnik33

Re: 5F6A Bassman clone, layout review please!

Post by robnik33 »

I'm using the NFB values from RobRob's site, I assume he did it right!

"If your 5F6A feedback is tapped off an 8 ohm speaker output like mine then your 5F6A feedback resistor should be 56k to give the same amount of feedback as the original 5F6A's 2 ohm output with a 27k feedback resistor. You should use a JTM45 equivalent resistor of 20k"

Agree on not using a tweed style chassis, was thinking about a Mojotone blond Bassman chassis 20 1/4" x 8 1/8" x 2". It looks like it will fit the 7 pots easier than their British 45 (JTM) chassis. Though the JTM is aluminum, which I would prefer.