Fibre board just say NO!!!

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

WhopperPlate

Re: Fibre board just say NO!!!

Post by WhopperPlate »

Mark wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:53 pm Funny you should say that as during my first attempt at building my Trainwreck Rocket amp the circuit card was conductive. I got it from TAG RJ he replaced the card with Garolite and problem solved.
Might as well just install some high ohm resistors between each terminal if you need that vintage vibe :lol:
Charlie
Mark

Post by Mark »

WhopperPlate wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:46 pm
Mark wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:53 pm Funny you should say that as during my first attempt at building my Trainwreck Rocket amp the circuit card was conductive. I got it from TAG RJ he replaced the card with Garolite and problem solved.
Might as well just install some high ohm resistors between each terminal if you need that vintage vibe :lol:

The Rocket had noise issues between tone controls and the P. I. stage. The magic of Garolite fixed the issues. I should point out that Jelle Welagen helped me find this fault. I would never have considered the board being conductive.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

I wonder if this is a factor due to the black pigment in the board as well? I buy the fiberboard from CE Distribution/AES and its Grey, not Black:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/f ... -062-thick

I always understood it that older boards with black pigment in them (carbon?) were susceptible, especially when the boards absorbed moisture. I think Fender eventually wax potted the boards to prevent this in the 70s.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have heard that too, I don’t know if it’s true or not.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

A few years back one of the regular suppliers (don't recall which one) was selling some black fiberglass boards that were conductive. I suppose that's been corrected. Haven't heard any more talk about it more recently.
Mark

Post by Mark »

sluckey wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:15 pm A few years back one of the regular suppliers (don't recall which one) was selling some black fiberglass boards that were conductive. I suppose that's been corrected. Haven't heard any more talk about it more recently.
I heard about that too. I don’t know anyone who has had firsthand experience with conductive Garolite though.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
beasleybodyshop

That's true Mark. Never seen conductive G10! But you can't cut it with tin snips like fiberboard :P
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Here’s a study that discusses Bakelite: https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/document? ... a366239608
Charlie
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

WhopperPlate wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:12 pm You know this comes up right as I was considering this factor with Bakelite components .

Bakelite resistance can increase with humidity and heat. One study I read showed a decrease from 1000m to 60m at one environmental extreme.

This crossed my mind that this isn’t ideal for components that are often typically mounted on Bakelite terminal strips , like high voltage power supplies .

I am building an SVT style bass amplifier right now with the 700vdc power supply , and I have opted to build g10 turret strips where ever possible for close mounting components at the socket pins . With so many environmental variables , why bother building something that will operate even more inconsistently? It gets HOT and it SHAKES. Inconsistency becomes apparent when you are torturing your gear with regular usage getting thrown around from gig to gig. Might not matter as much for guitar Joe playing crunchy blues rock out of his 50 watt combo, but to get a clean powerful bass response these issues will undoubtedly be more noticeable to a discerning ear .

To me it seems willfully negligent to utilize sub par board material, when we have stuff like g10 . I just use the old boards for making drilling templates for the G10 lol
That's why these little guys my go to:
20231105_063642.jpg
Ceramic for the win!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
xtian

Post by xtian »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:40 amThat's why these little guys my go to:
20231105_063642.jpg
Ceramic for the win!
Ooh. Where I get? Also, you just epoxied to chassis?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

xtian wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:15 pm
20231105_063642.jpg
Ceramic for the win!
You can order them on CEDIST or AES. They have threads on the bottom for chassis mount

I was thrown off by the inability to wrap around a terminal for a strong direct physical connection . Otherwise it’s a highly appealing solution.
Charlie
Mark

Post by Mark »

WhopperPlate wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:12 pm You know this comes up right as I was considering this factor with Bakelite components .

Bakelite resistance can increase with humidity and heat. One study I read showed a decrease from 1000m to 60m at one environmental extreme.

This crossed my mind that this isn’t ideal for components that are often typically mounted on Bakelite terminal strips , like high voltage power supplies .

I am building an SVT style bass amplifier right now with the 700vdc power supply , and I have opted to build g10 turret strips where ever possible for close mounting components at the socket pins . With so many environmental variables , why bother building something that will operate even more inconsistently? It gets HOT and it SHAKES. Inconsistency becomes apparent when you are torturing your gear with regular usage getting thrown around from gig to gig. Might not matter as much for guitar Joe playing crunchy blues rock out of his 50 watt combo, but to get a clean powerful bass response these issues will undoubtedly be more noticeable to a discerning ear .

To me it seems willfully negligent to utilize sub par board material, when we have stuff like g10 . I just use the old boards for making drilling templates for the G10 lol
I would have a good look at the SVT circuit before building it. It has some abnormalities in it that I don’t like.
I don’t like the preamp out power amp in section. They boost the signal up through the preamp only to attenuate it down to 0.6v, the power amp section then has to amplify the signal back up again. I have found there is hum in the SVT that really shouldn’t be there.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

xtian wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:15 pm
20231105_063642.jpg
Ceramic for the win!
Antique electronics supplies/CE in Arizona.
Almost. I drill the holes in the chassis to mate up with the two threaded holes molded into the base. Then I 100 grit the metal surface, clean all with acetone, then epoxy and screw in the two tiny screws.
https://www.tubesandmore.com/sites/defa ... -tc4-1.png
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Mark wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:59 pm

I would have a good look at the SVT circuit before building it. It has some abnormalities in it that I don’t like.
I don’t like the preamp out power amp in section. They boost the signal up through the preamp only to attenuate it down to 0.6v, the power amp section then has to amplify the signal back up again. I have found there is hum in the SVT that really shouldn’t be there.
Thanks for the care and fair warning ! I am not cloning the thing ; I am taking more than a few liberties . Client has a few blue lines and I am servicing those as well. there is a good amount of tweaks to the SVT that can remedy hum problems.
Charlie
beasleybodyshop

Noise issues with SVTs seems to be common with mismatched tubes, something not hard to do with a sextet of 6550s. I've had several SVTs, both new and old, on my bench for repair and they are more than capable of a low noise floor.