5E3 Build Primary Filter Value

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rschiller

5E3 Build Primary Filter Value

Post by rschiller »

I'm about to build a Deluxe 5E3 clone. I've worked on many Fender amps and generally a bit more value to the primary filter drop and even doubling the screen drop to 40 uf seems to help in Super-revs, Twin-revs and similar; tighter bass and slightly quieter ac line noise if I liad everything out carefully. I've modified a number of Bassman and Showman heads to have separate clean and OD channels with opto-isolator channel switching (Vactec 5C1). Now I go back to basics:

5E3 uses a 5Y3 rectifier and normal primary filter value is 20 or 22uf. I doubt 30uf would overly strain the 5Y3 but is 47uf too much. I'll be using F&Ts which are -10/+30%.

thx
Stevem

Re: 5E3 Build Primary Filter Value

Post by Stevem »

I love when folks say they love the sound and response of this or that amp they want to build and the then modify it to sound different, this always leaves me scratching my head.

It's like buying a great filet of fish to have for dinner and then smothering it in something that changes the whole falvor.

Anyway, if you use the 47uf I can tell you with certainty that the life of the 5Y3 will be short.
It's life of course will depend on how many times you turn the amp on and off.

Here's a suggestion low 120hz hum in the output stage.

If you do not have a PT for it yet then get one with about 30 to 50 more volts of B+.

Then make two filter nodes before the output transformer, like a 20uf first , the needed dropping resistor and then have that 47 uf in there.
Another way to go if you have a PT already is to use a 5AR4 recto.

These will get you more B+ to work with, they can take more uf loading and they have the added benefit of a indirect heater unlike the 5Y3.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
didit

Re: 5E3 Build Primary Filter Value

Post by didit »

Hello --
rschiller wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:29 am I'm about to build a Deluxe 5E3 clone. [...]

thx
Take a bit of time and carefully read through the various TAG threads on the Tweedle Dee Deluxe. Get close and familiar with Dumble's tweeks on the '50s era Deluxe, then ask any few remaining questions.

Best .. Ian