AA371 channel mixing

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

kev02

AA371 channel mixing

Post by kev02 »

Looking for a way to lower a modded bass channel vol seperate from the normal channel to be able to AB the channels . I'm thinking a master vol on the bass channel , but not sure as how the channels mix together. Any ideas would be great and lay out or physical location does help as I have a brain tumor and schematics strait lines are wavy too me now and makes this kinda tough . Thanks, Kevin
sluckey

Re: AA371 channel mixing

Post by sluckey »

Just turn the volume pot down.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Aside from turning the volume down, the easiest way to lower the bass channel output would be to increase the value of the 220k resistor on the bass channel that is connected to the 470k on the normal channel. You could add a master volume for the bass channel, but it would be a lot more work for little benefit, in my opinion. Much easier to tweak resistor values. Maybe bump it up to 330k? Theres DC on those resistors so make sure everything is drained before you swap anything out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Since resistors sap up high end sparkle ( unless you need such ) and add hiss I would audition a 12AY7 in that tube socket or up the second gain stage cathode resistor to 2200 and audition removing / lifting the 5 Uf cathode bypass cap .
You will drop off some bottom without that bypass cap also so you need to see how it works with your tonal needs.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Could also go the other direction and lower the value of the normal channel resistor, raising its volume, if you are worried about the potential for high end loss that Steve mentions, though I don't think it would be too significant. You could also temp in a trimmer resistor, replacing both of the channel mixing resistors, to find the exact balance you like. Again, mind the plate voltage.

The Steves' points are probably the way I would approach the situation, but I'm operating on the assumption that you want to keep the bass channel exactly how you modified it, then change the volume where the channels meet to compare.