No not a Fender but an Elk ... (or is it?)

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Cougar

Re: No not a Fender but an Elk ... (or is it?)

Post by Cougar »

Ok thanks.

Although it would be nice if everything works as intended, the reverb isn't that important. Overdrive/distortion a bit more. I also have a Boss ME-25 so i got some effects available when needed.
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

So i got me a 12AX7 and tried the amp. The glow behavior is slightly different from the other (ECC83) tubes but i guess that could be because it's a different brand (S4GB). (The 12AX7 is the one closest to the DIN sockets, 2nd small tube from the left).

I think this amp is gonna need some work. It has a fairly noticeable hum depending on the knob settings. 1 resistor, near the large transformer, seems a little fried. There also seems to be a cap missing on the PCB connected to the front pots/knobs.
cbass

Post by cbass »

If that amp has any of the original resistors or oil capacitors. They are probably junk. The old Japanese amps I've been in have basically all the caps were bad and all the carbon comps were way out of spec.
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

A lot of resistors and caps seem original. I've replaced 4 pots myself now to get rid of some 'random' sound effects... volume included and apart from a light hum the amp sounds pretty good. I've also tapped on all components to check for bad contacts or soldering and only tapping the 'extra' PCB is noticeable in the output.