blackface deluxe with lead and reverb mod

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

imo1

blackface deluxe with lead and reverb mod

Post by imo1 »

Hey yall,

I built a deluxe reverb for my older kid for Christmas. Thanks to the help of some forum members, I figured out a weird feedback/oscillation issue with the reverb.

I'm a mediocre hobby builder, but I have played professionally for quite a while and have always been a Fender player. I grew up in Austin, so I grew up with EJ, Stevie, Jimmie, and all the other Fender-loving players. I have a ton of Fender amps and have either played them or built something similar in style and function for most of my life.

Once I got the amp sorted out and solid, I started messing around with a couple of mods. I first did the reverb mod, which allows for reverb on both channels. I loved that, but I loved it even more once I did the "normal channel lead" mod. That emulates a Marshall gain stage with the 220k/2.2k(.68U) gain stage and changes the coupling cap to .0047. I used a slightly larger coupling cap as I wanted something less extreme in terms of a bass cut.

This will be perfect for him. As I was listening, I was thinking that using a slightly larger output transformer, and probably a higher wattage speaker(I used a Celestion vintage 30) would be changes I would make it if were my amp. I love how spongy and playable the Deluxe is and wouldn't want to mess with it too much, but the flubby bass is the one wall i always run into
imo1

Re: blackface deluxe with lead and reverb mod

Post by imo1 »

Short clip going between “normal” channel with volume at max(nice basic gain sound) and vibrato which acts as the clean channel. Really love the reverb sound. The trem sounds fantastic as well.

The deluxe really is a pretty amazing little amp. In these times of gigging at greatly reduced volume, it has become the perfect giggling amp
imo1

Re: blackface deluxe with lead and reverb mod

Post by imo1 »