Use of 220uF and 330uF in bass channels.

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

crbowman

Re: Use of 220uF and 330uF in bass channels.

Post by crbowman »

Structo wrote:Sounds buzzy. :D
Ha!
That's enough out of you Tag.
:lol:
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
Stratoblaster

Post by Stratoblaster »

Mark wrote:
Not stock ,the rest was though. I would have thought this completey crazy but it worked a treat. Adds 'more' with no more flub than a 220uf or 330uf.
Thanks for your reply Mark, apologies but I don't understand.
Sorry , maybey I wasnt adressing your question Mark.
I used to think 220uf & 330uf values were way too high & mushy too. So I tried lower values. But I didnt like the results for saturated lead tones. I do like 25uf for clean tones if the amp is set up more like a Fender Bassman circuit though.

Then I came across a fairly stock 100 watt 69 Plexi Marshall with 470uf on cathode bypass of V1a instead of 330uf. The topology of that amp was pretty much like early 70s Marshalls but with plexi B+ filtering.
V1b had the usual 2.7K & .68uf. The negative feedback wire was coming off the speaker jacks through a 100k NFB resistor. Also no cathode bypass on V2a.
That amp also had chinese looking GT preamp tubes. Also old Sylvania 6CA7 output tubes which I understand scoop the mids a little in a Marshall.

My point was (in that setup at least) 470uf sounded suprisingly good & didnt seem to get any flubbier in the low end than 220 or 330 all ready were. The result was seemingly more of the higher frequencies along with a little more gain. Very usable at low & medium volume settings with an Ibanez TS808 too. Bass control was usually set to 0.

Cheers Mark
Structo

Post by Structo »

crbowman wrote:
Structo wrote:Sounds buzzy. :D
Ha!
That's enough out of you Tag.
:lol:
Hehehehe :lol:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Agreed about setting the bass to zero. I don't mind this channel when it is patched together with the 2.7K//0.68uF channel and used (sparingly) to thicken the overall tone, but on it's own the bass is overwhelming.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
PaisleyTube

Post by PaisleyTube »

I do hear and FEEL differences between 220u and 330u but it's not the only factor regarding that in a circuit.

Putting small caps in parallel with big e-caps:
big e-caps do have more internal inductance than small (normal) caps so that small cap can add more highs/etc.

Throw away your calculator, it ain't no freaking guitar! ;)
Chris
Love, peace & loudness!