What sets the power amp section of a Friedman, Metropolis etc apart from a JCM800?

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: What sets the power amp section of a Friedman, Metropolis etc apart from a JCM800?

Post by Reeltarded »

Providing consumption for free-thinkers since the enlightenment stopped paying it's electric bill.

haha

RGs more recent post about building a $13.43 10,000w amp eater with an inductor would be a great place to look. I throw $700 at it like a More Ron. The load design is the important part unless you just want to go garage with it and hang a bunch of risistors in a string out of the back of yiur amp.

(inserts early picture of tremendous resistors hanging out of Eddie Van Halen's amp with two amps in the picture that are probably cascaded)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Davidg

Re: What sets the power amp section of a Friedman, Metropolis etc apart from a JCM800?

Post by Davidg »

Sorry to revive an old thread. I tried a search but couldn't find this load box with an inductor RG posted. Any body remember the thread title or any way I can find it? FWIW Reeltarted is right as always IMO. From what I have seen Dave uses stock Marshall power sections and stock Marshall OT in all his amps wirh minimal if any changes. He does the negative feedback slightly different I think by coming off the impedance selector so it changes depending on which tap you use 4,8,16 ohm and he may switch it up by using a JCM 800 styls in one and JTM 45 in a different amp but the hot rodded marshall tones are mostly based on the 800 I THINK?
I will keep looking for RG's load box with an inductor but if anyone can help the search I woulx greatly appreciate it. Sorry I'm not good with the search function I'm barely computer illiterate.🐒
If Hendrix had lived would he have been as good as EDDIE? (Shaver that is)
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

It's not too old, the last traffic was by ReelTarded in Sept :D

I think you're looking for this one: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31515

Also, the search on this site sucks. I usually use goole, and focus on this site. Go to google.com and type in

site:ampgarage.com

and then your search terms. But the search for me was a bit hard, I tried several ideas, and it wasn't until I did

site:ampgarage.com reactive

that I found it as the second result.

It's sometimes just about remembering terms used in the thread to find it. Which isn't easy in and of itself.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Davidg

Post by Davidg »

Thanks Phl! It's good to know the site search is wacked. I thought it was strange I could never find what I was looking for. Never even thoight of just googling like I do everything else. Duh!😀
If Hendrix had lived would he have been as good as EDDIE? (Shaver that is)
Cathode Ray

Post by Cathode Ray »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:48 pm(inserts early picture of tremendous resistors hanging out of Eddie Van Halen's amp with two amps in the picture that are probably cascaded)
RT, when you say "cascaded" here re you meaning cascaded gain stages, or one amp cascaded into the other :?:

Like tapping signal off the pre-amp section of the first, then goin into the input of the second ?

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Cathode Ray wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:41 am
Reeltarded wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:48 pm(inserts early picture of tremendous resistors hanging out of Eddie Van Halen's amp with two amps in the picture that are probably cascaded)
RT, when you say "cascaded" here re you meaning cascaded gain stages, or one amp cascaded into the other :?:

Like tapping signal off the pre-amp section of the first, then goin into the input of the second ?

Amp 1 output-> infinite resistive load -> Amp 2 input

ZING! Wheeeeeeee! I'm flyin'!

A pair of cascaded Marshalls sounds like the first two Van Halen records with the first amp mostly treble and just the bright channel and the second amp everything around 5. It's loud. Load the second amp. You are pounding it with line level input. The only reason not to use a simple line out is to virtually mute Amp 1. It raises all Hell and thumps like a prize fighter.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Cathode Ray

Post by Cathode Ray »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:11 am
Cathode Ray wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:41 am

Amp 1 output-> infinite resistive load -> Amp 2 input

ZING! Wheeeeeeee! I'm flyin'!

A pair of cascaded Marshalls sounds like the first two Van Halen records with the first amp mostly treble and just the bright channel and the second amp everything around 5. It's loud. Load the second amp. You are pounding it with line level input. The only reason not to use a simple line out is to virtually mute Amp 1. It raises all Hell and thumps like a prize fighter.
Ok, yeah.

I ran this setup many years ago, and liked it.

I guess the only thing I missed was the dynamics due to a purely resistive load.

Curious about the term "infinite resistive load". I thought it was a 20 Ohm load on the first amp, connected to the 16 Ohm tap ?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It's just resistors big enough to eat the whole first amp. It doesn't matter otherwise.

My thing is that my rig ends with power amps pushing speakers. I use Palmer PGAs but full range so bypassed reactive stuff. I hardwired the other controls never to work. Driving one amp with another makes you wish you could get all that in one head. :)

Searing! That's what I call full drive! The noise floor is a skyscraper but when you play.. it stays played. A 4 holer into a 4 holer sounds like Gary Moore before they put out his fire.
Cathode Ray

Post by Cathode Ray »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:49 pmDriving one amp with another makes you wish you could get all that in one head. :)
Being a novice in the tube amp stuff makes me wanna ask questions like "Well, surely that's been done, or tried before".

I used to talk with Steve Miller (Miller Amplification) about stuff like this and he was very patient with me, being a n00b and all.

He said he was working on a new, super-secret tone stack circuit last time we spoke. :mrgreen:
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Probably the tone stack. need right now.. lol

It has been done kind of.. but it hasn't been done very well in a package that you can carry without a forklift. two reamps, two power amps, two sets of controls, a huge bank of resistors.. aha.. a 100w chassis.. and still need the resistors somewhere.. I dunno.