Winter Amp Project Help

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Sweetwood

Winter Amp Project Help

Post by Sweetwood »

I have a 100 watt tranny set, a Plexi faceplate/chassis, a pre-populated 1959 board and a bunch of components laying around from various other builds. I've built about 6 amps so far. I'm mainly a pedal with clean amps kinda guy. I've evolved away from my original idea of doing a Plexi and am more interested in something like a Fuchs clean machine. I had a trpledrive supreme so it would be a bonus if it had the third channel from that amp also. Maybe this is more of a Dumble question but I have that type of build in mind. In my latest band we have a funk/reggae/jam band style. We definitely get rocking sometimes. Any suggestions, schemes and layouts appreciated.
Tony Bones

Re: Winter Amp Project Help

Post by Tony Bones »

The Marshall 1959 can have a pretty good clean sound. I'd just put all the parts together as-is and try it. Then maybe change the tone stack to more Fender BF values for a bit of mid scoop. Depending on how you set the knobs you might be surprised how good the clean sound is. With 100W you won't need to turn it up too much!

EDIT: Thinking about it, I realized that the 1959 clean sound that I like is the earlier versions that tended to have lower plate voltages. I don't know how much your PT puts out... Even Hiwatts put only around 450V on the plates of the EL34's.

Anyway, it sounds like you have everything you need to put it together. Can't hurt to try it with the already stuffed board.
Sweetwood

Re: Winter Amp Project Help

Post by Sweetwood »

Thanks Tony. I think I'm leaning toward your advice. Usually I like a little breakup in my cleans, but with big powerful thick amps, I think super clean might be the mod to do. Although, at lower levels the Plexi has a pretty glorious sound imo and plenty loud.