Lunchbox amp kits or mod platforms?

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

alfi27

Lunchbox amp kits or mod platforms?

Post by alfi27 »

Hi fellas,

I have figured out that I need an amp head that is more portable than my old 50w Marshalls, which preferably is not compromising too much on tone and more importantly quality/reliability. Shrinked versions of bigger amp heads are cool, but what I'm really looking for is an amp in the steel cage style like the Vox Night Train for example. It shouldn't be much bigger than the NT, and not weigh more than 10 kg. A really compact 50 watter would be amazing as I do have a spare Classictone 50w OT for 2xEL34s, but that is rather ambitious. A JMP2204 is pretty much as small as a 50 watt chassis can get.

If I could design an amp from the ground up, it would be a dual 6V6 powered lunchbox amp with the Wizard MC circuit (both channels). The Ceriatone 2525 would be a good platform in many ways, but it doesn't have four preamp tubes and getting a custom steel cage isn't something I have ever seen anyone offer... I'm not a big fan of EL84s, have owned so many EL84 amps so I'm not too keen on trying that again.

Cheers guys!
sabredude

Re: Lunchbox amp kits or mod platforms?

Post by sabredude »

Have you looked at Hoffmanamps' stout series? They have a 6V6 plexi that is pretty nice! and would work great in a lunchbox type setup.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Look at Slucky's data he provides on Hoffman Forum.

Stout chassis etc. Dual Marshall circuit
jodie

Post by jodie »

Hi,
just to give an idea:
i built a JTM45 with KT66 (big ones) into a cage, which I bought from www.valverpower.co.uk years ago.
Dimensions are about 31x19x20 cm, weight is just under 11 kg.
No noise, except for a little hiss (normal).
IMG_1779.jpg
DSCF3092.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

El84s are like smaller versions of EL34s in that they have higher gain then all the common beam type tubes like the 6L6 and 6V6 tubes so they overdrive more easy, something many folks do not concider when they do that yellow jacket adapter swap thing or rebuild a amp without lowering the PI section signal drive level.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
alfi27

Post by alfi27 »

Thanks a lot boys! The Stout is very interesting for sure, and looks to be big enough to accept 50w trannies as well?

I'm not going to do the Wizard circuit though, as it has recently come to my attention that the MC circuit would require a higher impedance OT to sound good, and one of the goals here is to make use of my spare 50w Plexi OT. Could have been very very cool to do a dual channel sort of thing, kind of like a Friedman Runt 20 except with a 50w power section, as I don't use clean a lot but it's a nice thing to have. Volume and 3 position bright switch should be plenty.

What is your take on a steel cage vs traditional wooden cabinet? Obviously cabinet looks better and probably offers better protection, but it adds a lot both in the weight and size department... The goal here is to make something I could bring on a plane as carry on. Also, September this year I'm entering my final year at uni (music course), which requires me to do 30 gigs between September and April or May and I won't have a car available. Carrying around one of my big ass Marshall heads in the city is just not feasible...