Ceriatone AH-50

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Ceriatone AH-50

Post by M Fowler »

Why get the AH50 kit if your going to strip all that out?
Cathode Ray

Post by Cathode Ray »

M Fowler wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:48 pmWhy get the AH50 kit if your going to strip all that out?
The loop?

Really not that much to it.

I got the kit, rather than pay Nik to build it so I'd have a platform to learn from, by building it and modding it myself.
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

It's a Friedman Brown Eye clone. If you add a depth control, I recommend trying a 2200pF cap instead of 4700pF. Or anywhere in between really. Don't be afraid to experiment. But 4700pF might be to much.

Variable NFB is cool at first, but you'll probably find one setting you like and leave the pot set there. So it might make more sense to temporarily alligator clip in a pot for the NFB resistor and play around with it until you find a setting you like, then just solder in a resistor for that value.
Cathode Ray

Post by Cathode Ray »

FourT6and2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:02 am It's a Friedman Brown Eye clone. If you add a depth control, I recommend trying a 2200pF cap instead of 4700pF. Or anywhere in between really. Don't be afraid to experiment. But 4700pF might be to much.

Variable NFB is cool at first, but you'll probably find one setting you like and leave the pot set there. So it might make more sense to temporarily alligator clip in a pot for the NFB resistor and play around with it until you find a setting you like, then just solder in a resistor for that value.
Thanks man :!:

Yeah, I realize I'm adding the "thump" and "response" knobs.

I will try a 2200pF cap there.

I know you built these type amps before and was wondering.. did you wind up changing the clipping circuit components? Thinking of trying an asymmetrical clipping in that spot, maybe some germanium diodes or LED's, rather than the symmetrical clipping it has with the transistors or the diodes.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

My honest opinion of clipping circuits is they all just sound like a similar fizz. I have tried every mixture you could imagine.

Transistors are just diodes. You get the same response and the same drop as any similar single diode just without spider legs all chopped off or wrapped. Pick dropping values and just go with it. I use 12v pair and 1N914 pair tailed together on a switch I wish I didn't install with a 25k pot I had room for to adjust the squash.

Spend valuable time with the meat of the amp and experimenting with mixers/dividers vs stage cathodes and bypass. These places are where the real stuff is happening. That amp has enough holes to never use a diode for pretend drive. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Cathode Ray

Post by Cathode Ray »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:21 pm My honest opinion of clipping circuits is they all just sound like a similar fizz. I have tried every mixture you could imagine.

Transistors are just diodes. You get the same response and the same drop as any similar single diode just without spider legs all chopped off or wrapped. Pick dropping values and just go with it. I use 12v pair and 1N914 pair tailed together on a switch I wish I didn't install with a 25k pot I had room for to adjust the squash.

Spend valuable time with the meat of the amp and experimenting with mixers/dividers vs stage cathodes and bypass. These places are where the real stuff is happening. That amp has enough holes to never use a diode for pretend drive. :)
I'm curious about that whole thing because I've never played a "Jose" style modded Marshall.

As you say, I may not like this type of clipping at all, and remove it or change it.

Thanks for the comments, guys :!:
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

Some Jose-style mods sound fizzy. Others don't. I do hear a difference between zeners and transistors wired up as zeners. Not in the level of clipping, but in the character of it. There's also a difference in feel/character between types of zeners and transistors. It's subtle, though.

But yeah I would focus on getting the circuit right and then play around with the clippers. Or just add another gain stage.
Cathode Ray

Post by Cathode Ray »

FourT6and2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:54 pm Some Jose-style mods sound fizzy. Others don't. I do hear a difference between zeners and transistors wired up as zeners. Not in the level of clipping, but in the character of it. There's also a difference in feel/character between types of zeners and transistors. It's subtle, though.

But yeah I would focus on getting the circuit right and then play around with the clippers. Or just add another gain stage.
Agreed.

I know you've built quite a few Ceriatone kits. Do you usually change any components in them?

Like Wima caps instead of the ones supplied :?:
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

Cathode Ray wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:03 pm
FourT6and2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:54 pm Some Jose-style mods sound fizzy. Others don't. I do hear a difference between zeners and transistors wired up as zeners. Not in the level of clipping, but in the character of it. There's also a difference in feel/character between types of zeners and transistors. It's subtle, though.

Agreed.

I know you've built quite a few Ceriatone kits. Do you usually change any components in them?

Like Wima caps instead of the ones supplied :?:
The ones I've built are not Ceriatone circuits. I just use the turret board and chassis for the layout. But yes, I've used like every type of resistor/cap you can think of since I source all the components myself.
Cathode Ray

Post by Cathode Ray »

FourT6and2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:10 pmThe ones I've built are not Ceriatone circuits. I just use the turret board and chassis for the layout. But yes, I've used like every type of resistor/cap you can think of since I source all the components myself.
What iron are you liking for the Jose modded type of builds ?

..or is the stock Ceriatone OK?
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

Cathode Ray wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:26 pm
FourT6and2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:10 pmThe ones I've built are not Ceriatone circuits. I just use the turret board and chassis for the layout. But yes, I've used like every type of resistor/cap you can think of since I source all the components myself.

I've used Merren, Marstran, Heyboer, Classic Tone, etc. They all sound fine.
Cathode Ray

Post by Cathode Ray »

FourT6and2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:16 pm

I sent Chris Merren an e-mail asking for a xformer for my 100W Plexi clone like 8 years ago...

Still waiting on a response. :roll:
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

Cathode Ray wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:37 pm
FourT6and2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:16 pm

I sent Chris Merren an e-mail asking for a xformer for my 100W Plexi clone like 8 years ago...

Still waiting on a response. :roll:
Yeah, he takes forever. Go with Marstran then :)
Cathode Ray

Post by Cathode Ray »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:26 pmVan Halen's dirty secret is that the good records were all cascaded heads. :)
It was right there in front of me the entire time. :idea:

A clean little Fender amp head loaded with a resistive load, then line out into a 2203.

Holy Moley. There it is. :lol:
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Cathode Ray wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:14 am
Reeltarded wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:26 pmVan Halen's dirty secret is that the good records were all cascaded heads. :)
It was right there in front of me the entire time. :idea:

A clean little Fender amp head loaded with a resistive load, then line out into a 2203.

Holy Moley. There it is. :lol:
Yep. Anything he ever said should be ignored. Everything.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.