JCM-800/2204 Build

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

john l

Re: JCM-800/2204 Build

Post by john l »

Reeltarded wrote:Awesome!

After so many modded versions of the stock circuit I have come to really like these features:

All 2k7/.68u stages (3)

Switchable 500p/1000p/2200p peaker at the entrance of the usual 3rd stage

100p bright cap over gain

CF master (Jose mod) with clipping circuit I like transistors and 1n914s in pairs. I add a 25k or so pot to ground on that control to vary the diode dump. That is VERY cool. Red LED and 20v zener also very good with jist a fattening action without so much dump.

Simple 800 style master as you said above (also)

56k CF

You could wire up a three pos switch to bypass second stage for very plexi, normal 2204, and added stage.

1M/.0047u resonance

Bunches of other stuff.. :) these amps are very forgiving as far as the dress is concerned. I recently started converting my mod amps to rear input to get the input right on the tube.

As far as switching input from hi to lo.. that is kind of the same thing as the two stage setting on that staging switch I was talking abooot.

VARIABLE SLOPE! 33k-83k! Yes!! I'm excited. Let's hurry.
Oh boy. Lots of stuff Im curious about here. The variable slope sounds cool. Miles if one was working on PCB 2204 and didnt want to hack up the board could I simply unsolder the wire feeding the slope, come directly off that pin to a 50k pot then go from the pot to the existing wire to slope?

How do you wire the "plexi" switch your talking about?
John
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

I am laying it out with a relay similar to what is shown with the "hot switch" here:

http://www.el34world.com/projects/image ... ematic.gif

The added gain stage output will be gain stage 3 in the JCM800 build as opposed to the PI shown above.

I was looking into a separate power scaled section as Pablo suggested but may just replace the 470K divider to ground with a 500KA pot to allow for some adjustment.

Cheers,
Dave O.
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Thanks for the guidance on the switch Miles!
That ought to work for me.
Cheers,
Dave O.
Mark

Post by Mark »

This looked helpful too, I don't know if you saw it.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ed940247f0
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Yep John, just lift on end of the resistor at the board and the 50k like you said works too.

Excellent Mark. That Jose scheme that Colassal posted has it. I like NPN resistors opposing each other if you aren't switching diode pairs. Lay them flat back on the table and I think you cut off the right side leads and tie the left side leads together from memory. 50% positive on that! :D

The plexi mode only includes the brite stage + V2. it is as easy as using a DPDT switch. One side of the switch sends to V2A (plexi) and the other side sends to the grid of the normal side of V1 (800) with the plexi input side of the switch having a loop over to the other side of the switch. It takes a minute of sketching it out. That was funny the first time. I had a mental image that it was supposed to be backwards from reality that was hard to lose. haha switching can be pretty confusing.. err confounding.

Both sides of the switch are stage inputs. One leg of the switch is the output to V2A. Like a dog with a cone! (shakes head and makes whining noises)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
john l

Post by john l »

Varible slope is very worth while Miles! That thing is totally staying. The only linear 50k I had was a SPST push/pull pot so I used the switch to bypass V2/A with a 1uf. Great little mod.
John
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Magic! Isn't that awesome!!? Yes it is.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
chief mushroom cloud

Post by chief mushroom cloud »

oops, I forgot I signed an NDA
Don't overthink it. Just drink it.
john l

Post by john l »

Yeah awesome sauce. How much of what you listed would you recomend without the jose master? Any other cool mods I just have to try?
John
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Oh dear Gawd... :o

John, you can do the clipper without the master if that is interesting at all. Simplest way is

a 10k resistor off the cathode follower 100k at the socket pin, .33uF cap, pair of oppsing 20w zeners, 20k or so resistor to ground.

Half a hand full of parts and it makes the amp squatty as a mofo. Delete the last resistor for major squash. The power amp gets to work harder. :D I like 56k CF instead of the 100k, but be careful about what tube you use in V2. Never a modern Tung-Sol!!

Lots of little tweaks. Anything about your amp drive you just a little crazy?
Last edited by Reeltarded on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
chief mushroom cloud

Reeltarded wrote:Oh dear Gawd... :o
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
chief mushroom cloud

john l

Post by john l »

Don't get the link to rig talk... but I do enjoy amp spelunking, lay it on me mang.
John
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It was complicated while it lasted!

hah

John, another thing I *can* like is big peakers over that divider before V2. 2n2 to even 5n instead of a bright cap. Works good with a deep resonance control.

Resonance is totally worth it if you don't have it already.
john l

Post by john l »

I totally appreciate the Jose thing but theres just something about diode clipping that I don't get on with. By the time I get to the saturation I like the diodes cut too much volume.

When you say big peakers are we talking about bigger caps on the 470R/470pf. Sorry for the lame questions Im pretty green I guess.
John