JCM-800/2204 Build

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cbass

Re: JCM-800/2204 Build

Post by cbass »

Very cool! Which ones do you like the best?
DLR is a Captain beefheart wannabe
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Very interested Dave. Great stuff.
Thanks for sharing.
When I shake off this cold/flu I'll be digging into this.
Bob
Why Aye Man
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Thanks guys! Glad to help/share any way that I can. Just let me know!

Well....the Jubilee was my favorite followed by the blue LED symetric, yellow LED asymetric, germanium asymetric and symetric zeners. Still playing around with the transistors at the moment.

Again, no real scientific evaluation or objective reasoning here. If I said: "got to have that!" when it was in the sockets, I soldered it in on an open rail and it stayed.

I only ended up removing one that had been soldered in previously to replace it with another that I thought better.

Rock on!
Dave O.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

That's a nice little set-up Dave. For those who just can't seem to make up their mind I could see doing something like that with sockets in the amp for a few different clipper assemblies that could be swapped in and out.

Reading through above I see I didn't answer this question:
ampgeek wrote:Does your 2204'ish build still employ the peaker network (470K ll 470p + .001uf) upstream of the volume pot?
Yes it does. Glad to hear the presonance is working out!
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Thank you Martin!

Yes. That concept could work for the indecisive types. However, I noticed that after a couple of dozen component swaps some of my sockets started to get kind of loose. The devices became a bit too floppy for my liking. So...there may be a practical limit on how many times the arrangement can be changed.

Thanks again,
Dave O.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Excellent!

You like a single blue instead of red? I haven't tried blue LED, but since. Radio Shack is closing 500 stores and they are all here in savannah...

I like the board. That is a cool rig!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

That clipping board is awesome! Maybe you can post clips running through all of them?
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Thanks as always guys!

It is all YOUR "FAULT" Miles. You made me do it...thankfully!!! :wink:

Truth be told, I never developed a fondness for single clippers (e.g., where one side of the waveform is completely unmolested) of any variety. I could never get that configuration to sound as phat and chunky as clipping both sides to some degree.

And....it was hard for me to discern big audio/feel differences between the various colors of clippers. I measured them all with the diode setting on my meter and they all fell within a ~0.5V range IIRC. Can't recall the absolute value at the moment but will report back after I check my notes.

I would LOVE to do some clips...but...I have zero recording equipment or skills in that regard. Hmmmm....just remembered that my wife has an Apple iPad of some recent vintage. Might that get me there? Any quick guidance from the experienced here that would give me a jump start?

Cheers,
Dave O.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

ampgeek wrote:just remembered that my wife has an Apple iPad of some recent vintage. Might that get me there? Any quick guidance from the experienced here that would give me a jump start?

Cheers,
Dave O.
For quick and dirty recording when I don't feel like breaking out my good stuff(it's really crap anyways), I use my Iphone or Ipad. I'm sure there are tons of ways to do it, but I use Soundcloud, free hosting/streaming etc site. You can put the app on your device and record straight from there, upload it, etc. Really quick...and dirty
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Smaller room with the softest walls and probably carpet on the floor. Cab standing on something like milk crates. Ipad like 5' out and check that volume isn't clipping the mic.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Excellent! I can already tell that both of those bits of guidance will save me many hours of fiddle-fartin around.

Cheers,
Dave O.
Jana

Post by Jana »

A small room with soft walls--um, I don't like were this is going.
What?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

You have to get the cuffs off if you don't have a half-scale guitar.
Jana

Post by Jana »

The cuffs aren't the problem--it's that silly jacket that zips in the back that gets me.
What?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

They let me wear those backwards since I got off door feedings.